cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

Roflmaoski
Honored Guest

A VR headset literally is a form of monitor, and it should work with any VR software, such as Steam, period. It should not be tied to the internet, and should work with a computer without connection because it is hardware, it is a device, it is exactly like a very fancy monitor. And above all, it should not fail to work because of an external software certificate - because it is hardware, and should not be tied to one single piece of software. That is why this event is shameful and highly damaging of VR in general. This event is a terrible blow to Oculus in the long term.

Oculus needs to untie its hardware from bespoke software entirely, and thus from the internet entirely, and face the reality that a VR headset is hardware, it is exactly like a monitor, and should just work with any app.

VR cannot hope to gain a meaningful foothold until VR headsets and controllers are effectively universal and dependable.

A VR headset is literally a form of monitor(s) with a boatload of other stuff to go along with it.  There are numerous sensors and emitters involved, both internal to the headset such as the accelerometer and infrared LEDs, or external like the tracking sensors or touch controllers.  The whole system must work in unison, and the software ties everything together. 

It's not a technology that's anywhere near the point that you can just plug it in and off you go.  When a new widget comes along, computers have no idea what to do with it without the software from the vendor.  Eventually, the widget gets popular enough that it can be that transparent to the user, but assuming that your OS or other VR applications should just know what to do with your particular gathering of components that happens to be a VR system just isn't realistic. 

It's also worth noting that the other headsets out there need their software to function.  It's like you're mad at HP because your LaserJet won't work unless you install drivers, or because it won't work with the Brother printer control suite that you like to use.  I think we may get there eventually, but it will be some time before we see any sort of standard that would allow what you're asking for.

tbhausen
Explorer

Cyion said:

I find it a little sad that, so many people blow up on oculus when they have been so great to us for so long.  I mean every weekend we get to try a free game and then oculus has funded so many good games.  Oculus has contributed to the success of VR and I think everyone reading this can agree that we want VR to be successful.  Now, I was very disappointed when I went to launch my oculus home software today and that evil error message popped up.  I had been looking forward to playing some VR more than usual as my internet connection was lousy last night and ruined my echo arena matches.  So it was a draining experience for me today when I couldn't play VR, but I am not ready to throw Oculus under the bus for it.  Cross your fingers that it is fixed tomorrow.

+1... I missed a night of iRacing over this, but will I ever sim race on a regular monitor again? Heck no!

Anonymous
Not applicable

rfrye6820 said:

A VR headset literally is a form of monitor, and it should work with any VR software, such as Steam, period. It should not be tied to the internet, and should work with a computer without connection because it is hardware, it is a device, it is exactly like a very fancy monitor. And above all, it should not fail to work because of an external software certificate - because it is hardware, and should not be tied to one single piece of software. That is why this event is shameful and highly damaging of VR in general. This event is a terrible blow to Oculus in the long term.

Oculus needs to untie its hardware from bespoke software entirely, and thus from the internet entirely, and face the reality that a VR headset is hardware, it is exactly like a monitor, and should just work with any app.

VR cannot hope to gain a meaningful foothold until VR headsets and controllers are effectively universal and dependable.

^ this

Unfortunately, we don't live in a world where any of what your suggesting is financially viable, the way things have been implemented in software are for a reason. The reason the certification process exists is to stop you from unknowingly installing an update that has been compromised. It is not like a monitor and not a typical peripheral, we are not yet at a point of VR development where we can afford to have it as a standalone product that works with any software you like.

Ummm... I'm a developer and can't run my own software - software I just authored and compiled.  How does that fit with your world view?  We're a startup and are I'm taking bets on how many opportunities to demonstrate our software to potential partners, users, collaborators and investors we're going to miss because of this.

you can change the system time to 3AM and roll back your date, restart the oculus service and you should be able to boot the software up.....

And all of your licensed development software ceases to work...... Time change is not an option.....

rfrye6820
Honored Guest
I think Oculus needs to allow offline access to the software.....

yibble
Expert Protege

rfrye6820 said:

I think Oculus needs to allow offline access to the software.....

Literally not the problem.

onemoreblue
Explorer
This is like putting your power generator behind an electronically locked security door. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
a day of games missed i demand a free game this is bull shit

AnneOnymous
Explorer
You mean Russia could brick ALL of our Rifts???  You really have to wonder if the t's aren't crossed, are the i's dotted?  Cameras and microphones are sitting in my living room ffs!

Leolook
Explorer

We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Looks like they have the cert just no way to push it out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Leolook said:

Update:

Update #2:

Looks like they have the cert just no way to push it out.

post the file here
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?