cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Software will Not Install error "Restart Computer"

RaisenOwl_657
Honored Guest

4 days ago, I had to re-install windows 10 pro, ever since I re-installed, I have NOT been able to re-install Oculus software I've tried EVERY possible solution online and I cannot get it to install.

After re-installing windows, I did the following...

1. Run windows update and update all that it asked me to update including the optional

2. download Niveda experience and install the latest drivers for my GPU

3. attempt 28 times to install Oculus software and no success

I have tried contacting Oculus support, but they were not able help.

they asked me for a log file using these steps

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
• The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed the Oculus PC app to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs.
4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop.
7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

every agent asked this, the problem is that the Oculus software is not installing. all that it installs is support/oculus: -Runtime, overlays, redistributable installer, librarian, home, drivers, dream deck. no diagnostics.

I've tried turning off anti-virus, and firewall. also tried deleting all files relating oculus and attempting to reinstall, checking for updates, going into safe mode with networking enabled,

I need help, Please and thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey n41076jem, totally understand your concern with not being able to get the desktop application working properly. It's a cool feature and we want to help you resolve it! First we will want to repair the desktop application and restart the computer.

To repair the Oculus PC app:

1. Go to www.oculus.com/setup scroll down to Oculus Rift S and click Download software.
  2. Select Repair.
  3. Allow the repair process to run, download and install.
  4. Launch the Oculus PC app.
    • If Windows asks you if you’re sure you want to open this file, click Yes.
    • If Windows Defender prompts Windows protected your PC, click More info and then click Run anyway.
    • If your antivirus software restricts the file from opening, temporarily disable your AV and continue.
    • Please remember to re-enable your antivirus software once you've completed the repair.

If the issue still persists after trying this, please get in touch with out Online Support Team so that they can look into this further for you! You can reach them using this link here.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RaisenOwl_657. We see you are having issues with downloading our Home Desktop app and understand how troublesome this can be. We also see you have contacted our Meta Store Support and have gone through some steps. We would like to ask you to keep following up with them as they can provide the best possible help since we have limited tools through our forums to check any information regarding your PC. But in the meantime, are you able to download the app on another PC or with a different windows version?

Hope to hear from you soon, thank you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

n41076jem
Honored Guest

I am having the same problem.  After update last night, the quest 2 stopped working.  Started up the PC app and it error out 

It get to the point of checking the status of your Oculus app and errors with can not reach Oculus service.

I tryed it on Window 7 and window 10  same problem  

Jim  n41076jem@yahoo.com

Hey n41076jem, totally understand your concern with not being able to get the desktop application working properly. It's a cool feature and we want to help you resolve it! First we will want to repair the desktop application and restart the computer.

To repair the Oculus PC app:

1. Go to www.oculus.com/setup scroll down to Oculus Rift S and click Download software.
  2. Select Repair.
  3. Allow the repair process to run, download and install.
  4. Launch the Oculus PC app.
    • If Windows asks you if you’re sure you want to open this file, click Yes.
    • If Windows Defender prompts Windows protected your PC, click More info and then click Run anyway.
    • If your antivirus software restricts the file from opening, temporarily disable your AV and continue.
    • Please remember to re-enable your antivirus software once you've completed the repair.

If the issue still persists after trying this, please get in touch with out Online Support Team so that they can look into this further for you! You can reach them using this link here.

It must be a server issue on Oculus/Meta's end. 

Give it a day or two if it doesnt work then open a support ticket with Meta support

The Problem it turned out not on Meta's end or the software itself 

I had 4 16gb RAM and either one or all were faulty to the point where i  kept getting BSoD alot and i FIxed it 

The way i fixed my RAM is a bit crazy and it requires an Oven but i don't want to say it here just in case it might get me trouble and i don't want that

Dirtydevil1
Honored Guest

uninstall microsoft mixed reality portal (or watever its called) app and restart that worked for me somehow lol dident even delete old files or setup or disable antivirus ran setup again after restart as admin and BOOM it installed    read it up someware few weeks back lol

Removing MS Mixed Reality Portal did not help me. I'm still stuck in Restart Computer loop.

I am having same problem months after your post there. Been trying for days. Every time it downloads 5.18GB data, begins installing and fails shortly after. I don't thing their server is my problem.

I do not see something to click on to Repair.  Here is what I can do in the Oculus Installer:

1. Get Started button

2. Agree or Decline button to terms (click Agree)

3. Adjust disk location and Install Now button.

Then it's going on its way to failure.

I cannot find anything about Repair.