cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus quest 2 Airlink terrible quality

Hossein_Hi
Explorer

I've bought quest 2 last week and did all required updates. when I connect the device to my PC for VR mode in twinmotion or enscap 3d model, the quality is terrible. full of lag. in twinmotion it is worse. I put the bandwidth on 200 dynamic, no change. I also tried static option the lag is more than before.

The lap top is MSI GP66 I7-11800/RTX3080/32MB RAM.
very disappointing... I hope meta solves the issue

6 REPLIES 6

You haven't mentioned networking, which is the most important component. Is your PC linked to your router with an ethernet cable, and is your wifi configured as an uncontested 5GHz channel?

By default, many routers combine 2.4GHz and 5GHz on a single SSID and your device may well pick the stronger signal, which will generally be 2.4GHz. See if you have the option to separate 2.4 and 5GHz onto different SSIDs to ensure you are hitting the right one.

Hossein_Hi
Explorer

It is 2.4 but the value is 802.11 a/g which produce the same bandwidth as 5ghz. Is it necessary to change the router to one that supports  5ghz?  

If I test with ethernet this should be solved?

You should definitely go for 5GHz. The usable bandwidth will be much higher than with a 2.4GHz SSID. Under ideal conditions, 2.4GHz will give you 450-600 Mbps while 5GHz could go as high as 1300 MBps.

And your PC should be connected  to the router via gigabit ethernet, otherwise the PC and headset will be sharing the wifi bandwidth needlessly.

Is it possible to use laptop's mobile hotspot for the connection? I thought this might eliminate the router from the equation and this may be helpful.

I haven't done it myself but I've heard of it being done. I think you might need to configure routing on your PC so the headset could access the internet and I would expect performance to be a bit compromised (it's doubtful a laptop hotspot will perform as well as a dedicated router), but it'll be better than using a 2.4GHz wifi.

I will test that and tell you the result. Hope it works!