cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus quest 2 flat screen glitch

NotMilezzzz
Honored Guest

So sometimes when playing games on my oculus the screen will randomly stop moving and there will just be this flat part of my screen I was just looking at around me in a void with that part of the screen in front of me and behind me is the same image flipped. This same glitchy has been bugging me with most games I play for a while. If someone has come across this bug or can help me please reply to this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Howdy, @NotMilezzzz! It appears your Meta Quest 2 display is not performing to the best quality. We'd love for you to be in VR, so you can enjoy your experience. Since we want to make sure you're taken care of, we're going to provide a few troubleshooting tips. Please continue with the following:

• Reboot headset
  • Make sure you're in enough light.
  • As a last resort, factory reset.

Please get in touch with us once you've completed the steps!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Howdy, @NotMilezzzz! It appears your Meta Quest 2 display is not performing to the best quality. We'd love for you to be in VR, so you can enjoy your experience. Since we want to make sure you're taken care of, we're going to provide a few troubleshooting tips. Please continue with the following:

• Reboot headset
  • Make sure you're in enough light.
  • As a last resort, factory reset.

Please get in touch with us once you've completed the steps!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

kojack
MVP
MVP

This sounds like Asynchronous Time Warp (ATW).

One issue with VR rendering is that our eyes are very sensitive to head movements. On older VR systems, a game would read the headset tracking, do all of the rendering based on that tracking, then display it. This means by the time you see a frame, your head could have turned more and the tracking is 11ms (on a 90Hz headset) out of date. ATW fixes this by doing the same as above, but adds two steps before display: read tracking again after everything was rendered, then rotate the current image based on how much your head turned between the first and second tracking reads.

Ok, a bit technical. Now here's where it can go wrong.

If a game can't keep up with the required frame rate, its possible that ATW happens several times to the same image. This can be seen as a black edge appearing in the direction you are turning your head (the headset tries to rotate the image faster than the game can render new frames).

If a game freezes, it will look like a floating 2d panel in a black void. The headset still runs with head tracking so you can look around, but the game isn't updating. This sounds like what you are seeing.

In your situation I don't know why its happening, but the cause is games freezing or struggling to keep up. Which headset are you using and is it connected to a PC? If its a Quest 1 or 2, support's suggestion of factory resetting may help. If you are connected to a PC using Link or Airlink, it might be a poor connection (bad cable or poor wifi reception)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya @NotMilezzzz! We're just moseying on over to see if you are still in need of assistance. If so, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you!

lapezi
Honored Guest

Hello. I am having exact same problem and dont want to start a new thread.
So im playing on pcvr via 3rd party link cable, the usb test shows 1.2gbps (which I think is good). And the exact same thing happens to me randomly when playing. What could solve the issue. I have restarted my pc and quest 2 again countless times and this still happens. Thanks in advance!

Hello. I am having exact same problem and dont want to start a new thread.

So im playing on pcvr via 3rd party link cable, the usb test shows 1.2gbps (which I think is good). And the exact same thing happens to me randomly when playing. I mostly play racing games and it seems that it happens sometimes when I dont move my head around. What could solve the issue. I have restarted my pc and quest 2 again countless times and this still happens. Thanks in advance!

Hello there, @lapezi! It seems like you're facing some difficulties with PCVR. Have you recently updated your graphics card drivers? It's possible that the solution to your problem might be as simple as ensuring that both your graphics card and USB drivers are up to date. Give it a try and restart your PC to see if it resolves the issue.

I havent in a week or so, I will update them and see if it works. Thanks!

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?