cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC App Won't (Re)Install

Safari_Ken
Honored Guest

I've had a Quest 3 since launch (and before that a 2 and 1), and a few weeks ago I was surprised when the PC app lost my device and I had to re-pair it. Since then, Air Link has worked, but I can't get the PC to see my headset through the same USB cable I've always used with no issue. It says Plug In Your Headset and that's the end of it. Switching back to AirLink cleared everything right up, but AirLink isn't suitable for everything.

As part of troubleshooting, I tried repairing the PC installation, but it came up with a vague error message. So I decided to do a clean installation. I couldn't actually find it in Apps & Features (which is weird, since I'd been running the app), and deleted all the folders in AppData and a couple other places (this was based on a tip from Meta Support on a similar ticket). But now the software won't reinstall. When I try, it either crashes with an error saying Please Restart and Try Again, or the installation window simply disappears. Either thing happens at any time during the installation, even during the download phase.

I've restarted, I've double-checked that I've deleted everything Oculus, but frankly I'm not sure where to go from here. Specs are well above recommended (a month ago it was all running flawlessly).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Since the logs are too large, they will not fit in a PM format, which is why we will need to ask for further sensitive information first in a PM, and then we will be able to help and guide you through the process.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Safari_Ken, and thank you for taking the time to complete those steps to get back up running smoothly on your PC. We'd love to step in to take a further look into things, so to get started, let's make sure to disable any firewall, antivirus or VPN on the PC. 

From there, we did want to confirm the app is not being downloaded to a different drive other than C: on the main Windows profile. Once confirmed, we'll continue digging deeper! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Safari_Ken
Honored Guest

Thanks for the reply. I'm running OculusSetup from my profile's Downloads folder, and attempting to install in the default path of C:/Program Files/. The app folder gets created but only partially filled, though as I mentioned, the process does not crash at any consistent point in the installation (sometimes it crashes during the download phase, but usually it gets a little ways into the installation).

After I posted my initial message, I thought to take a look in the Event Viewer, and sure enough, there's an entry for this issue. And as usual, I'm not sure what to do with it. 🙂 In case it helps, here you go:

Faulting application name: OculusSetup.exe, version: 1.97.0.0, time stamp: 0x6632b1c5
Faulting module name: System.ni.dll, version: 4.8.9236.0, time stamp: 0x65f11862
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001c52b1
Faulting process id: 0x7aac
Faulting application start time: 0x01daa97e3e6ef5fc
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Boxbody\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-53fb3e90-1915-4758-83fd-8c524654ab3f\OculusSetup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32\System\70d707aab3b7c79173db0a807723c97d\System.ni.dll
Report Id: ffa80903-6911-4170-8317-40869ea51fdd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

We appreciate these additional details, @Safari_Ken. So that our team is able to review how your PC and the PC software are communicating further, we would like to collect your PC Logs. 

To gather the PC Logs:

1. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to open the Run window on your PC.
  2. In the Run window, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\ and press Enter.
  3. From there, locate the OculusSetup.log file and save it.

Once gathered, please reach out to our dedicated team here, so that we can take a further look at the saved file!  

Thank you, I did so. 🙂

Thanks for the reply so for us to gather some more information from you we will need to you send us a PM

Please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here: https://metaque.st/CommunitySupport. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

We look forward to seeing your PM.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant send an email to your support team. I'll send you a PM right now.
Edit: when I try to attach the log file, I get an error that says ".log" files are not supported.

Yes we will be able to further assist in a PM once there we can help you out further we will just need to collect some information from you before we need the logs sent over.

We will be looking for your PM.

I can't figure out how to attach the log to a PM, since it won't accept .log or .txt files. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Since the logs are too large, they will not fit in a PM format, which is why we will need to ask for further sensitive information first in a PM, and then we will be able to help and guide you through the process.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?