cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCVR graphics not good

owslinha
Protege

Hey guys.

I just got a Quest 2 and I think I might be having some problems.

When playing standalone, graphics look nice and sharp but when I try PCVR it's not as good.

I'm using the newest Kiwi Design cable, the one they claim to charge while playing. Cable test is ok, but there was an orange warning on the Meta App for PC, which I got rid of by - I guess - disabling energy saving for USB on Windows.

The thing is that when I launch cable link, the graphics are blurry and looks like there's no antialiasing. That task bar looks terrible. Games do not look good either. Superhot on PC, for example, is super blurry... That does not happen with Pavlov and other titles on standalone.

My PC setup is a i7-8700, 16gb 2400mhz DDR4 and a RX 590.

I tried to set custom resolution on standalone, PC app and SteamVR, but it didn't work.

My GPU is not very powerful for VR so I already ordered a new one, but I believe my current GPU would perform better or at least the same as the standalone.

So, what you guys think it could be? The Kiwi Cable? Maybe the GPU or another part?

Also, I noticed text and stripes are blurry and look like they're waving in both PC and standalone, no matter if it's a game or Youtube video. Is that normal?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Link relies very heavily on the video encoding capabilities of the GPU and unfortunately the RX590 doesn't have very good hardware encoding. A more modern Nvidia GPU will give better results. The RTX3060 is reckoned to be a good sweet-spot at the moment.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Link relies very heavily on the video encoding capabilities of the GPU and unfortunately the RX590 doesn't have very good hardware encoding. A more modern Nvidia GPU will give better results. The RTX3060 is reckoned to be a good sweet-spot at the moment.

That's a relief!

I have a 3070 on the way and was going to wait for its arrival before posting here, but that issue was frustrating me.

Thanks for your answer, I hope everything will be fine with the new GPU.

Regards.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

I have an RX590. Prior to v44 of the Oculus apps the PCVR graphics were acceptable, not great. Since v44 the graphics are terrible no matter what settings I use.

Virtual Desktop rates the RX590 as a potato.

I didn't spec out my system as a gaming computer and the RX590 is sufficient for most of what I do. The majority of the games I have on Oculus are for the headset only or have a cross-buy option so I mainly play direct on the headset.

I have the official Oculus Link cable so the problem is mainly with the GPU.

Hey Owslinha, totally get your concern here. PCVR is one one of the coolest features of the device and we want to help you get things working again. The link cable provided with your device has proprietary tech that separates it from the branded charging cable and other usb - c cables. For best performance with PCVR, please use the provided Meta branded link cable or the Anker USB C cable for best result with Quest 2 Link.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hey.

The provided cable is too short, I use it for charging only. I need a 5 meters cable.

I will wait for the new GPU to arrive and see what happens.

I also plan on getting the Oculus cable - oe this Anker one now that I know it exists - but I can't right now, it's too expensive, retailers sell it for almost 200USD in my country and by importing it myself I run the risk of paying even more.

I am hoping the new GPU will solve it. I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks for everyones replies.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

The supplied cable will only give you a USB 2 connection (as per the USB Test in the PC app) and the bandwidth is too small really for Link to run PCVR.

The Kiwi cables are popular and almost all the review tests show the Kiwi performs as well as the Link cable.

Thank you so much for letting us know. Please keep us updated on your progress.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Yeah, I've been watching a couple of reviews and Kiwi seems like the winner.

I managed to make things a bit better here by turning off Windows energy saving for USB (which I had done before but not for the driver the Kiwi cable was using), tweaking a few settings in BIOS and disabling USB selective suspend on the power plan.

Still not perfect, distant objects and text are still blurry, but I see it's a bit better. Cable bandwidth also seems to have increased on tests.

In a few days I'll test with a new GPU and see what happens then.

I got a question. Should the USB driver for the cable be name "Generic SuperSpeed USB HUB"?

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

The driver would depend on your motherboard or USB card and the chipset being used. You might check with the motherboard/card manufacturer's support site to see if there are more up-to-date drivers. Or you can find out what USB chipset is being used and go to the chip makers support site (e.g. Intel) and download the drivers for it.

Windows 10 looks like it is using all of Microsoft's USB drivers for my Gigabyte mobo: Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft).