cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTC v63 - Quest 2 stuck at login screen. Controllers buzz on start, no controllers or hand tracking.

Micro666
Expert Protege

As per the title. I turned on my Quest 2 today, which has latest V63 as of Feb 21st, and it got stuck at the login screen.

The controllers buzzed when the headset was turned on, but on the login screen the controllers would not appear, and hand tracking would not engage. There was a cursor point in the centre of my vision, but I had no easy way to select the confirm prompt, to confirm my account login.

Head movement was being tracked, as the login screen would move to position as I moved my heard. I did notice that when pressing the controller trigger or A button etc, that the centre cursor point would turn blue. It's as if the controller cursors were stuck in the middle, but I saw no beams or controllers.

I rebooted the headset multiple times with the same result.

Pass through wouldn't engage, by double tapping, whilst on the the login screen, but I did manage at one point to ensure the cursor was on the "confirm" prompt when pressing the trigger on the controller (though I could see no controllers or beam pointers)

Then it just sat there, stuck, and even head tracking stopped working.

I rebooted multiple times again, no joy, but on my final attempt, I removed the batteries from both controllers, rebooted, and managed to get hand tracking working. Enough to confirm my login.

Once logged in, and in the home environment, I put the batteries back in the controller, and everything is working again. Even after a reboot?!

Something strange happened, that hasn't happened before v63

42 REPLIES 42

FunkyTanuki
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Controller issues can definitely get in the way of a good vr play session. Thanks for letting us know about this!

"I Have Found That People Lie, Most Often Deceiving Themselves. Not So The Dead. The Dead Are So Very, Very Loud. And Yet, Lying Is Not In Their Nature. It Is So... Humbling, To Listen To The Dead Speak."

Micro666
Expert Protege

So this issue still persists, since getting the previous v63 update on my Quest 2. I also got a new v63 update today 27th Feb, and the issue is still present.

I've been experimenting, and it's not related to controllers. Essentially if I now turn on my Quest 2, when I see the login screen I cannot use either controllers or hand tracking, but I do see a circular pointer (but no line as I'm not using a controller)

If I press and hold the power button to get to the Power screen, I am able to use both hand tracking, and controller input. I can choose any options just fine.

However if I select cancel to return to the login screen, 9 out of 10 times, the hand tracking and controller inputs are again disabled and non-functional.

No matter how many reboots it's the same.

Luckily "sometimes" hand tracking / controller inputs do work on the login screen, afer exiting the power screen, then I can login and use the quest 2 with no issue, until I next wake it or power on and am stuck at the login screen again.

This only happened since the v63 update, so it can't just be me 🙂

Hopefully the engineers can find out what the issue is and fix it soon.

Thx

Thank you for providing this follow up. I'll make sure to pass this along. Thanks!

"I Have Found That People Lie, Most Often Deceiving Themselves. Not So The Dead. The Dead Are So Very, Very Loud. And Yet, Lying Is Not In Their Nature. It Is So... Humbling, To Listen To The Dead Speak."

Hey @Micro666, do you still experience the same issue if you rollback from the PTC? If you could try that out I'd really appreciate it

Di_lara
Protege

Same problem here with quest 2 😔

Same!

FunkyTanuki
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey Di_lara, are you also on the PTC? Does the issue still happen after rolling back out of PTC?

Yes, I am. I don't know.

Hi FunkyTanuki,

Err, I don't really want to back out of the PTC as I takes literally an she to get into.

If I leave it could be many months to get back in 😪

All I know is it only started happening once I had the v63 update.

I can get it to work after some persistence. I turn on the headset from cold, go into the power screen (press and hold power) without pressing any controller buttons (If you do the on screen pointer circle is then frozen).

Once in the power screen more often than not,  I can use hand tracking or the controllers. I then select 'cancel', and I'm back to the login screen with everything working. 

If on the power screen I don't see my controllers or hands, then reboot and try again.