cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance degradation when using OVRPlugin with OpenXR backend

saikiran_n
Protege
We have observed performance degradation when using OVRPlugin with OpenXR backend. But to use the passthrough feature, the OpenXR backend is mandatory.
Is it possible to achieve the same performance as of Legacy OVRPlugin with OpenXR backend as well?

Unity version: 2020.3.31f1
Oculus SDK version: 39

Would there be any optimization settings when using OpenXR backend ?
Unable to find documentation (Difference between Legacy backend and OpenXR backend)

When googled, got to know that Extra Latency Mode is getting disabled when using OpenXR backend and hence is the performance hit. But couldn't find any setting on how to enable (or) disable Extra Latency Mode.
2 REPLIES 2

steve18624
Honored Guest

I experienced the same issue with Unity 2021.3.  After many hours of profiling and debugging, I switched the OVRPlugin to Legacy LibOVR+VRAPI backend which solved my performance degradation issue.   Based on my experience, I would not recommend using OpenXR at this time.

Oculus_Legacy.png

In terms of the Extra Latency Mode, I noticed the same issue.  The LAT metric in the OVR Metrics Tool is 0, when a value of 1 implies that it's activated.  This occurs even when I enable Phase Sync in the XR Plugin; which from my understanding is how you enable Extra Latency Mode now (i.e. Extra Latency Mode = Phase Sync).

extra latency.png

Hey there!

That's some awesome looking info, but admittedly a bit outside of our wheelhouse to help with. Fortunately, many developers are currently working with Unity and have an entire section of the forums dedicated to what they're doing. Here's a link to that forum!

Swing by there and make a post. You'll find much more assistance and relevant information there. 🙂

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!