cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 1 left joystick broken - options to replace?

bmleedy
Explorer

Hi, 

My left controller joystick is broken to the point where calibration will not successfully complete (cannot make it all the way around the calibration circle).

I have already tried calibration, re-pairing, deadzone, cleaning, and other remedies in the forum here.

What are my options to get another controller or repair for my existing controller?

Thanks,

Brett

6 REPLIES 6

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! We know how joystick issues can affect your VR gaming experience. We'd love to help you out and get you back in the game! Since you've already tried several troubleshooting options, you'll want to reach out to our support team here for some additional one-on-one assistance.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

bmleedy
Explorer

Hi, I tried to click through that link, but Quest 1 is no longer in the device list, so the link is a dead end.  Is there any other help, guidance you can give me?

No worries at all, we're more than happy to walk you through the process! Since the Quest is no longer listed please continue under "Meta Quest 2" instead. You'll select "Left controller", "Thumbstick", "Thumbstick unresponsive (NG)", "This does not solve my issue", and you'll then be able to choose your method of contact with our team. We hope this helps!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

drogue665
Explorer

He my friend.  I see Meta Support is helping you and I don't want to step on their toes or give advice that may go contrary but I just dealt with this issue myself.  If you look around on youtube you will see it is very common for the transducer part of the controller (the joystick part) to stop working and lose calibration after only 6 months of solid game play.  The controllers are very solid pieces of equipment but the electronics in the joystick are paper thin and get damaged pretty fast.  The way I see it You have 3 options available because yeah...It will never fully work right again: 

1. If you bought a warranty for the controller, by god use it. Because there is no calibration fix...the stick is shot. 

2. If you are good with electronics, don't have fat fingers and can follow directions there are VERY GOOD how to replace the joystick videos on youtube (I followed one step by step and replaced my joystick!) You can buy a replacement package for right around 15 dollars on amazon.  But understand. If you do it, you also take a chance of breaking the controller. Mine was so bad I took the risk and it paid off. 

3. By a set of new controllers from the store. If you have 75 buck for one it is the fastest and safest option.  Sorry this is happening to you. But really once you get to the point where it wont calibrate even on the software calibration page...Your thumb stick is a dead stick.  

Thanks for sharing the voice of experience.  I'm probably going to go route #2 with #3 as a backup.  I didn't realize that we can buy replacement controllers.  Nice to have that in the back pocket if I end up messing up the controller.  Will chime in here when I have some results!

Please do let me know how it goes.  Let me link you to this guy.  He is the man I watched tear down the controller and he gives pretty good step by step in how to replace the joystick...but you may need to watch a couple of his videos for the full "idea" of what you are in for.  Just let me warn you ahead of time there are very small and paper thin sensors and ribbon connections in that controller...You have to be really delicate. But if you are, you can save yourself a little money.  So far I have replaced a joystick and bought a controller so I have experience with both #2 and #3 options. 😄  Good luck:  The video: ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLT1LdX_ag