cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2; Black screen, frozen cursor.

Lostar
Explorer

I’ve had this headset since February 2021 and this is its first debilitating issue. I don’t use it that often either but recently I’ve been getting back into my Quest 2.

When I boot up my headset, I recieve the login chime and the meta logo. I then, for about 10 seconds, see the login pattern prompt. However, when I attempt to input my pattern, I am unable to move the cursor with my touch controllers. However any button input turns the cursor-dot blue. Putting my controllers aside, the headset is unable to detect my hands for hand tracking input. After 10 seconds of being stuck in the pattern login screen with no way to interface with the login, it all goes black (though it does not shut down - it's not dark, just black and blank so the headset screen is still being powered). 

I have tried hardbooting; this can work after a few attempts or a lot of attempts or not at all which I then try to use the bootloader (Volume button + power) to reboot. This method works sometimes within the first few attempts... but often takes many multiples of tries until it boots properly and I am able to use hand tracking or touch controllers to login. 

By the time it does finally work and I am in oculus home, the system runs as expected.

Quest 2 headset is fully charged during attempts. Quest 2 touch controllers have recieved fresh batteries.
All peripherals disconnected (headset/battery pack) during attempts.
Quest 2 has never recieved any physical damage and has been used sparingly and handled very gently at all times by myself and no one else.
Quest 2 is updated to most recent build as of yesterday afternoon.
Quest 2 was put in power off mode prior to attempts.

Trying to avoid doing a factory reset that might be unnecessary.  

3 REPLIES 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Lostar, it looks like you've tried a few different troubleshooting steps with no luck. For display issues we typically ask for a power-cycle, however, if it doesn't assist in anyway the next step would be to perform a factory reset, make sure you have Cloud Backup enabled so you won't lose all your data! 

If this issue continues after performing the factory reset, please Submit a Ticket and we'll be able to assist further within that platform!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Lostar
Explorer

So far, factory reset seems to have solved my issue. 😕

That's good to hear @Lostar. We are happy that we were able to figure this out with you and get you back to gaming. If you are having anymore issues with this, please do contact our support team via our Support Website. There you'll be connected with one of our amazing agents, who can look into some warranty options for you. 

We wish you the best and happy gaming! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!