cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Link stuttering and Link Details showing dropped frames, PC is not struggling

jeff.mcgee.56027
Explorer

Hey all, I recently bought a Quest 2 to use primarily with PCVR over wired link. It's been having this issue the entire time I've had it. I've been seeing dropped frames and visible stutters. The GPU is NOT dropping frames though. Application frames dropped and compositor frames dropped in ODT both do NOT increment when it stutters. The dropped frames counter in Link Details does correspond to the visible stutter. This happens consistently all the time, regardless of game, utilization, or even just sitting idle.

Video of the issue:

I've tried everything. The issue persists with a fresh Windows install. Changing resolution/refresh rate/bitrate have zero effect, from all minimum to all maximum. I even tried a 6800xt with the exact same results. All software, drivers and BIOS are fully updated.

I posted about this on Reddit, and it seems that others are having the same issue, and reporting that it started with the v46 update.

Specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

• GPU: RTX 2070 Super

• MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F

• RAM: 32GB (4x8) 3200

• SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

• Windows 10

• Link Cable:  Kiwi Design 16ft cable

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This issue is really bugging me.

44 REPLIES 44

I am in contact with your support I have made all possible manipulation, twice !

On clean install win10, on clean install win11.

Repaired, tuned, everything you said, from USB host to uninstall steam and factory reset the headset.

I am sorry but nothing worked, as you can imagine, it is pretty frustrating, I have the quest 2 from its release and I was waiting for the quest 3 but it's been several weeks I use the headset only to try new manipulation to fix it and fail.

JayDude85
Honored Guest

I'm both disappointed and relieved to have stumbled upon this thread.  I just got a Quest 2 a few weeks ago and I've been searching for a solution to the unplayable stutter I've been experiencing.  I've checked into my laptop's specs and know for a fact that it's above the recommended requirements to play vr games.  All solutions I've found are from forums that are 2 or 3 years old.  I'm disappointed to see on this forum that there is no solution, but relieved to know so that I can FINALLY stop wasting my time tinkering with settings.  *sigh* just wanted to play some saints and sinners (pc version) and half-life alyx.  Pretty bummed out now.

Have you tried to change the USB powerplan settings on your pc?

I’m hoping they can fix this issue because I was enjoying an issue free experience until V49 came out. Now I get a white bar on my displays and tons of micro stutters in basic games like Onward. I’ve been talking with support but they haven’t been able to give me any real fixes. I’m also on a 5800X3D/3090 setup so it shouldn’t be doing this! 
I might have to take a break from Vr until this is sorted because this is unplayable for me. 

Have the exact same issue 😞

The only time I managed to set things to normal happened when I fist installed a wifi 6 router trying to see if playing wireless was  gonna  change anything and if it was  good enough (1st it  was not good enough lots of compression, stutters and pixels all around) I finally uninstalled that wireless  connection and removed my wifi 6 router  from my PC  and  reset the  linked  connection in the  hmd and on the oculus  home software.

After that it went back to normal no more stutters on steam vr

JPTremblay
Honored Guest

Hello, exact same issue also here. Spent litterally 20hours to trouble shoot this.. Clean install, tuning, cable swap, air link, tethered, Virtual desktop, Steam VR, Oculus API, Open XR. I've been through all the hidden tricks... 

5800x. 32gb of ram, 3080ti. It's a rocket with poor fuel.. META, ARE YOU AT LEAST AWARED OF THIS ISSUE?

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

This problem happens again. 😞

SwirlyMaple
Expert Protege

I've made a separate post about this issue here, including videos. Let's keep nagging Meta until they finally direct some engineering attention at this! https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Frame-Drops-and-Framerate-Issues-with-Link-amp-AirLin...

Can we expect an encoder fix ?