cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Link to PC failing since Quest 2 GUI update on Dec 2, 2022

pathmakerjen
Explorer

I've been using my Quest 2 daily with link cable to PC, and it was working fine. Today a new UI appeared in my Quest 2 (wider, new icons on the left of Explore), and when I attempted to link to pc, it stalled with black screen and 3 dots. It thought it was going to be able to connect (could tell the cable was plugged in) and let me push the Launch button, and when I disconnected the cable it correctly detected that and dropped me back to the quest menu. But it failed to connect to desktop even after waiting a while. I rebooted both pc and quest multiple times and it still failed. I don't see a pending software update to desktop oculus software. I was going to post a quest software version number here, but it's ridiculously long to try to type and there's no copy-paste from quest, so ehh; it says no later software updates are available, anyway. I already have a Meta account set up and have facebook integrated; although I originally had a legacy oculus account, I switched to the new account stuff some months ago, so I should be fully integrated to the new system there.

95% of my games are desktop vr, so I'd like to get this working again somehow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That's definitely mysterious, but also pretty awesome! We're glad to hear that the issue was resolved! If it acts up again, feel free to let us know and we'll do everything we can to help out. Enjoy the upcoming weekend!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @pathmakerjen! That definitely doesn't sound like something any of us would want to deal with, we'll do everything we can to help out! Does the Quest 2 work as a standalone device still? Could you also test to see if Air Link is working? We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

pathmakerjen
Explorer

Mysteriously, the link cable is now working again, despite me not having done anything differently.

When I was seeing failure earlier, the Quest 2 still worked as standalone just fine. I didn't remember to test Air Link during the failure state. Air Link works fine now, as well as link cable working fine. I'm puzzled but it's okay now! I retested link cable and saw it work, and then tested airlink and saw it work. I don't think airlink did any kind of reset or anything, since I tested link cable first just now and that was just working.

That's definitely mysterious, but also pretty awesome! We're glad to hear that the issue was resolved! If it acts up again, feel free to let us know and we'll do everything we can to help out. Enjoy the upcoming weekend!

Krahazik
Honored Guest

I am currently experiencing this issue. Every time I try to connect to my PC I just a black field with 3 dots.

My Quest 2 functions normally as a stand-alone device.

I did try Air-link thinking it might be the cable (the cable used to work), but I get the same thing with Air-link. 

Once the quest-link connection attempt is started, I can not abort the connection without rebooting my device. It just keeps trying to connect.

All of my VR software and games are on my PC.

Hey there, @Krahazik. We can definitely understand how concerning it would be for the Quest Link to quit working for you, especially if that's where all your games are. We'd be glad to help out however we can! Below we're listing the steps for a clean uninstall of the desktop app, once you've completed that give it another try and let us know how it goes. 

• Disconnect the Rift/Link cable from the computer.
  • Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  • Backup any necessary content.
  • You can find steps on how to do so by clicking here.
  • Reboot into Safe Mode.
  • Uninstall Oculus PC app using the Control Panel.

• Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
  • C:\Program Files

• Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
  • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache

• Restart your computer in normal mode.
  • Reconnect your computer to the internet.
  • Install Oculus PC app again using the setup tool from our website here.
  • Reconnect the Rift/Link cable and re-test the headset.

We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Hey there, @Krahazik. We just wanted to check in since we haven't heard back from you yet. If you'd still like help with this just let us know, we'd be glad to help out!