cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 black screen after closing app in v62, 63, and 64

FragmentalStew
Explorer

Sometimes, but not every time I close an app, in my Quest 2, the screen goes black. I can still hear interactions, but I'm unable to see anything.

If I hold down the power button, the power menu will pop up, with no problem, but I still can't see anything else.  After restarting the device, everything works normally, but this happens so often that it's very annoying.  It happens, perhaps 50% of the time.

This started happening after the v62 update, and still happens I'm the v63 and v64 updates.

Edit:  this usually happens after I've been playing for some time.  If I just open and close an app it's much less likely to happen.  One app this happens with, often, is CarX Rally.

5 REPLIES 5

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, FragmentalStew! Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. We understand how this can really disrupt an amazing VR experience, so we would love to look into this for you and get you back to enjoying the wonderous world of VR! Besides restarting your device, what other troubleshooting have you already tried? That way we can avoid repeating them.

Can you please try the following:

a. Remove any unsupported third-party accessories that may affect boot (such as external battery packs, accessories that plug into the USB-C port, etc.). 
b. Hard reboot the headset.
    i. Hold down the power button and volume-down button for 30 seconds until you hear the boot-up sound.
    ii If the boot-up sound is not heard:
  1. Hold the power and volume (-) buttons down simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset.
  2. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight "Boot Device" and press the power button.
  3. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Yes and press the power button.

If this does not do the trick for you, please proceed with a factory rest please ensure that you turn on your Cloud Backup. Click here to learn more about Cloud Backup. Now, if the black screen persists, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again so we can look into the other options we have available for you. We can't wait to hear from you soon! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hello again, @FragmentalStew! We haven't heard from you in a while, so we're checking in to see whether the factory reset on your Quest 2 has solved the black screen issue. We hope it helped, so we're looking forward to your response!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I haven't done the factory reset, because I have a lot of apps installed and I don't want to reinstall them all.  

Most of the time, having to restart the device is a mild annoyance, but it happened when I was playing multiplayer, and that's a bigger problem.

If I decide to factory reset, I will report back, but I was hoping that Meta would release an update that fixes the problem that was introduced in v62.

We definitely get where you are coming from here, @FragmentalStew, as we know a factory reset can certainly be an intense step to take! It's entirely possible that a future system update may fix your issue down the road, but often a factory reset may deliver more immediate results, depending on the root cause. If you'd like to proceed with that and run into any issues, please don't hesitate to reach back out. We're always happy to help!

Hi again @FragmentalStew, do you still need any help?

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?