cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 causes other network devices to lose connectivity

LypheNKrysiz
Explorer

Hello. I've had connectivity problems with the quest 2 and other devices (iphones and computer) after turning on my quest 2. I started pinging another site using the ping -t option to ping continuously and immediately on the quest 2 connecting I start getting time outs, lots and lots of them, so bad it looks like a dns server died. I have att uverse 12 Mbps connection and in the house I have a tp link re505x extender. Even if the quest 2 is downloading/updating it shouldn't take every last bit of data from my other devices...should it? Any ideas or suggestions? This is a reproducible event every single time I use the quest 2. Thanks for any insights.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, again! I wanted to let you know what happened. I disconnected everything except my PC and Oculus Quest 2 from the extender and reconnected them to the 2.4 GHz side and the interruptions stopped. While I'm happy to have found a solution it seems extreme to have to purchase a 5 GHz extender or router solely for the Oculus Quest 2. Shouldn't that be in the advertisement somewhere? Had I known I could have saved up for this additional piece of hardware before getting one. I had weeks of unknown errors all over that segment before suspecting the Oculus Quest 2. Maybe that specification is in the ads somewhere and I just didn't see it, though.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, LypheNKrysiz! We see you're experiencing some connectivity issues, and we have a few things we can try out! We know this can be a pain, so let's get started! 

We've got a few questions to ask you:

• Are you using a mesh network?
  • Can you try testing the connection without the extender?
  • When did you first notice this issue?
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thank you for responding. I'm not using mesh, just the single extender. I have to use this extender because the att wifi is only 2 GHz, so it doesn't let me stream Steam games from my PC. I haven't yet tried reconnecting the devices that don't require 5 GHz to the att wifi yet, though, so I'll go through that in a short while to see if this connectivity problem is only with the extender. I'll let you know as soon as I've been able to get some results.

Thank you for getting back to us! Okay, that's not a problem. It cancels out one possible cause. Please keep us updated on the results! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hello, again! I wanted to let you know what happened. I disconnected everything except my PC and Oculus Quest 2 from the extender and reconnected them to the 2.4 GHz side and the interruptions stopped. While I'm happy to have found a solution it seems extreme to have to purchase a 5 GHz extender or router solely for the Oculus Quest 2. Shouldn't that be in the advertisement somewhere? Had I known I could have saved up for this additional piece of hardware before getting one. I had weeks of unknown errors all over that segment before suspecting the Oculus Quest 2. Maybe that specification is in the ads somewhere and I just didn't see it, though.

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

The Quest 2 headset does not require its own 5GHz extender just to connect to the internet. That would be insane.

Now, if you're using AirLink, a dedicated 5 GHz channel on your wifi router, or a dedicate router is recommended in order to not have any lag. All the things I've mentioned above I do at home, so I speak from my experience. Cheers.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

I never said I needed such a thing to connect to the internet. Read. I said it's needed just for a connection to a PC. Just a dedicated connection to the PC. You actually got that part right. And it should be in the advertisement or on the box. As I said. It should NOT interrupt internet access for everything else just from being turned on. Read my initial question before replying. That's insane.

AirLink is an experimental feature, why exactly should they advertise something about it on the box when it's not even a 100% fleshed feature and did not exist on device launch