cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 crashes (V37 update) ''com .oculus.presence.pr isn't responding''

PhiQuest03
Honored Guest

Since the update to V37, I have many quest 2 headset that crashes while being in VR with this error popping up, ( com .oculus.presence.pr isn't responding)I'm not sure what presence is but I can't figure how to remove or disable it and it keeps crashing.

Image from iOS.jpg

can you help me?

58 REPLIES 58

vrvbird
Protege

@VirtualOmnipresence I will try tonight and will report back. The problem is that the support team is not even telling us what this package is and what it dose! This way we would have an idea of what to expect if you disable it! They also need to take this information to the developers to get this fixed.

This is the kind of support you would really expect and not a generic:

Uh-Oh We definitely can't have an error like that keeping you from being able to dive into the virtual world!

Let's open another ticket 😂 

That said I love you support team (maybe after trying to disable this I will have to open a ticket and ask for your help) 😂

I tried and disabled the package:

Screenshot 2022-04-21 205805.png

The result is that you only have your guardian showing and non of the menues or items work anymore.

So this is not a package that can be disabled without consequence.

Yes, it seems the best place to report this would be on v.39 megathread as maybe it will get the needed attention:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Announcements-and-Releases/PTC-for-Quest-v-39-Megathread/td-p/953719/

I've also tried disabling the package. Have you tried restarting the device after disabling com.oculus.presence? For me, the menu is displayed again after a device restart even "com.oculus.presence" is still listed as disabled package.

I'm not yet sure if this also fixes the actual "com.oculus.presence.Pr... isn't responding" error message because for me the error only happened at a very random basis, so I will need some time to be sure.

vrvbird
Protege

No! Shame on me I didn't! Seeing that nothing was working I got paranoid and thought maybe after restarting, the device may no longer boot! I only put it in standby mode and back (short pressing the power button) few times.

I am happy and grateful that you took the final heroic action! I will also disable and reboot right now and will keep you guys updated.

Good thing with this disabling method is that it is done at user level, so we bypass the need for root and we still get OTA updates.

EDIT: Done, Rebooted and everything seems fine for now🤞

vrvbird
Protege

I can confirm after hours of usage that the annoying error is totally gone and did not come back. Disabling the package fixed it. I didn't experience any particular problems either. Still don't know what this package was and what did it do! (surprised why no one from support answering this question) but from the advices they gave before (disabling automatic crash logs) and the fact that it crashes in the absence of internet it seems that it's there to send out logs and other info! if presence being no longer present dose not have an impact on usage quality then we can call it a fix!

VirtualOmnipresence
Expert Protege

Great to hear. We have a big event next Saturday where dozens of people are using multiple Quest 2 devices. I'm going to disable the presence package on all of the devices and am curious to see if the bug is still happening. If it's not appearing on any of these devices, than we can be pretty confident that the fix works.

VirtualOmnipresence
Expert Protege

Just wanted to confirm that disabling the package does indeed fix the issue. Had 18 Quest 2 devices in use last weekend (all connected to a wifi without internet) and the error wasn't showing up once.

Hi, what should I do to fix this crash?

Thanks a lot for your confirmation. It's the same on my side. Since I disabled the package I am using my headset with no problems and the error is totally gone.

I hope someone from Oculus support has reported and acknowledged this problem, so it will be fixed on next update. As you see the support guys are categorically refusing to give any information or comment on this issue apart from inviting people to open a new ticket! I don't know if You personally were able to report this anywhere!?

@Moyan0227 If you read this topic from the beginning you see that I explained what is need to be done to fix this issue. You simply need to disable the presence package on a user level.

This is the commande you need to use to achieve this:

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.oculus.presence

once you have executed the command, make sure you reboot your headset.