cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 not fully charging since 39.0 firmware update

Fatalution
Protege

So, I have recently discovered a huge potential problem. I started to notice that my Quest 2 won't charge - even though it would show that it's charging both by LED and the battery icon.

After using the Link, I always sit the Quest 2 down and power it off (holding the PWR button), still attached to my PC. The LED showed orange all the time, so I didn't look into it and thought that all is well. Then, I started to notice that my Quest 2 is not at 100% after picking it up to play the next day. Moreover, it appeared stuck on the same percentage that it was the day before.

So I started to dig into this:

1. Official Link cable + laptop = not charging (orange LED, stuck at the same %)

2. Official Link cable + Quest 2 charger = not charging (orange LED, stuck at the same %)

3. Asus USB-C laptop charger = not charging (orange LED, stuck at the same %)

After some Googling, I have tried to charge the Quest 2 in the DFU mode (PWR + volume down). I enabled it and sit the Quest 2 down. 'Lo and behold...it started charging. But only in DFU. The charge stopped after I turned the headset on or off.

I've downloaded USBDeview - this program lets you see all USB devices connected, USB protocols and speeds they're running at - and most importantly, the amperage going to the devices.

When the headset is off - it took 0 mA. Sitting at 53%.

When the headset is in DFU - it took 128 mA. Not much, but we take those - and it's enough to charge it very slowly. 

After some cross-referencing, I nailed it down to the 39.0 update. Something is majorly screwed.

Some other interesting findings:

1. Sometimes, Quest 2 is actually charging. But never to 100%. I've noticed that it sometimes jumps from 53% that I left it at to 72% and is stuck there

2. The percentage sometimes would show 100% when powered off after being connected to the charging cable - but the battery icon would show the correct 2/4 bars  - because in reality when powered on, the Quest 2 would show me something like 56-57% battery

3. The only way to charge to 100% is the DFU mode.

I cannot stress this enough, the headset is NOT physically faulty. It used to charge just fine before the 39.0 update.

And it still does so. But only in the DFU mode.

That points me towards a software issue.

PC: 13700KF / 4090 / Windows 11 Pro
Headset: Quest 3 with Link
Software: 60.0 PC, 60.0 Quest 3
125 REPLIES 125

Andre0389
Explorer

Same issue with my Quest 2, it only charges to 55%. Can only charge to 100% in DFU mode.

Hhawk2000
Honored Guest

I run in the exact problem. Stuck at 56% loading. Even waiting the whole night loading don't bring any change. It must be a software problem, like in the old days with our cellphone batterys , doing an update without a 100% full battery. This should be solved for a decade now????   

And saying this, anybody found a permanent solution for us ??? 

Beyond9k
Honored Guest

Thank you Fatalution  for the info, it a work around that worked for me but this is not a solution. Meta needs to fix this problem.

verakot
Explorer

I had a chat with Meta rep. They offered to replace the set without the controllers. I am hesitant to return it as they would replace it with another refurbished set, and I have a BOBORV fan installed on it. I think I will wait and always charge in DFU mode.

Frankalexandre
Protege

Another one with this problem. I'm on V42. Any official word on this problem? Is this a hardware problem? Im on Brazil and bought the Quest 2 years ago, so i dont have a option to return it.

Highly-Gifted
Honored Guest

Same problem just started. Seems after update 42 for me. I have a 256g model that is having this problem. My other 64g model is showing no signs of this issue.

So far I have done multiple hard resets, tried different chargers and cables. Even a factory reset. Nothing has helped.

Hi there! We would love to assist you with this. At this time we would like to suggest that you reach out to our support team here so that we can look into this for you. 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hey OculusSupport, I think your customers would really appreciate an explanation of why this is happening and some solution to the problem for those of us who purchased your product but are outside your service locations. 

i already did a hardware reset like suggested . it reached one day 86 % but the next day it was back to 56% 

i´m now on su42 .. and still the same issue. I live on a remote island with NO OCULUS / META support  and need that device for work . And i cant loose weeks waiting for shipping between several country's . This is a software issue .. not hardware related 

moonrakerone
Honored Guest

My launch model has begun exhibiting this behavior. It was fine for nearly 2 years, something foul is in a recent update.