cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 not loading Rift

Subarachnoid
Honored Guest

Woke up to my quest 2 not loading rift when selected from the quest 2 menu in VR.  When selected, it flashes the 'O' circle as if it's attempting to load into Rift status but flashes back to the default VR room.  All windows drivers have been updated, Nvidia drivers have been updated to latest release.  I have a 4 month old PC with a 3080ti video card that I recently spent a pretty penny purchasing.  I use Steam portal to play DCS through Rift with this VR unit only.  No other games played with it, nothing else downloaded.  Q2 storage is empty.  Q2 is connected to the PC with the USB-C cable it came with, Quest 2 PC software confirms connection.  All lights are green.  Rift option STILL WILL NOT LOAD.  Very very frustrating.

Does anyone have any helpful tips, hints, or instructions on how I can fix this problem?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, Subarachnoid! We know link issues can be really discouraging so we'd love to provide some help! 

To clarify a bit, could you please answer the following:

• When was this first noticed?
    • Did anything change recently? (Update to PC, headset, or app, etc.)
  • Is this an Official Oculus cable, or a 3rd party by chance?
  • Could you share your full PC specs for a better understanding? (GPU type and version, RAM, OS, CPU)

We also noticed you mentioned Steam and would like to share that although it is supported, if this is a steam issue it is best to troubleshoot with them. 

With that being said, could you please try out the following:

• Clean install Oculus Home:
    1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Backup any necessary content. You can find steps on how to do so by clicking here.
    3. Reboot into Safe Mode.
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder: 
      • C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
      • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
    7. Restart your computer in normal mode.
    8. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
    9. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here.
    10. Run Oculus Home as Administrator.

If that doesn't seem to help, feel free to reach right back out for some more support! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya! We wanted to check in and see if you were able to load into your RIft Home. If you still are having trouble let us know if these steps were of help or if it's needed to look into this further. Send us a response here or you can also submit a support ticket 👉🏻https://metaque.st/Support to get some expert help! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I've been going back and forth with Meta troubleshooting centers in email but their understanding seems to be devolving.  I've done everything they've asked, uninstalled, reinstalled, factory reset, updated drivers for everything, updated to windows 11, and I still get three blinking dots when trying to load rift while wearing the VR.  The dots blink a few times and disappear, then I'm put hack into the default VR room when the VR is first put on.

Hello again, @Subarachnoid. We understand you're still having issues launching PCVR with your Quest 2. We noticed in your post that you were using the cable that came with your headset. If you're referring to the charger and not the official premium fiber-optic Link cable that could explain why you're still having issues even after troubleshooting.

Oculus Link requires a high-quality USB cable capable of supporting data and power. You'll also want to make sure that the USB cable is at least 3 meters (10 feet) for an optimal and comfortable experience. We've provided a link to our official accessories page, but you can also use a third-party cable. While quality can vary across third-party cables, we've tested the Anker cable internally with good results.

We hope you find this information useful and can get into PCVR soon!

I'm using the correct cable.  I sit at a desk with the computer in a metal sling mounted on the underside.  The cable goes around the HOTAS throttle to my left and easily connects to the VR with plenty of slack when using both.  Additionally, I have the 90 degree end pointing out towards the source route for the cable.  Meta applied an update to the VR a few weeks ago and I was suddenly experiencing errors when I put the VR back on after taking a bathroom break.  The game was paused the entire time, but after the error clicked away (using the VR controllers) the game reloaded just fine.  I wish I could tell you what the error was, but I didn't memorize it, and it happened after an update was applied a few weeks ago and now the VR will not connect through the PC rift.  In fact, the connection test through the windows oculus software checks out perfect.  So the connection is there, but the software inside the VR seems to not be loading into rift status.  AND these VR headsets don't come with ANY diagnostics or the ability to check under the hood to fix problems like this that arise.  

Subarachnoid
Honored Guest

It seems like issues with these driver problems has occurred in the past.  I'm not very hopeful for a fix anytime soon.

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/35722123-add-an-option...

Thanks for keeping us updated, @Subarachnoid. In order for us to assist you best, we'd like to ask that you gather your logs and submit them in a support ticket here. You can find the steps to collect your logs in this support article. Please include the details of your issue along with your logs, and one of our agents will do everything they can to get to the bottom of this with you.

I've been following those instructions for the last 4 days with no fixes yet.  All they want to do is tinker with windows itself, and oculus software in windows.  There's never a push to restore older drivers in the VR headset.  The ticket number is 5073982.