cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 unreliable for workouts?

Caarlitooo
Explorer
I'm waiting for my 3rd Quest 2 to arrive this week (first one arrived half december)
My first 2 broke within a week 😞

I noticed a few hours AFTER a workout that there were severe screen distortions (rasters and lines).
This got worse over time - as I checked about every half hour -  and the day after all I get is a black screen (even in diagnostics so it really is a hardware issue).
This happened within a week on BOTH devices.

I really love this device (my first VR experience) so I believe I do handle it with care.
I do use it for workouts (Thrill of the Fight, FitXR, BeatSaber, ...) and use a sweatband + additional bandana over my head to limit the sweat.
I take breaks every half hour to wipe of any sweat although I don't really see it on the headset.
I do NOT have a VR cover yet as sadly they are out of stock, but this is first on my list when they get available.

As I do handle it with care and it happened twice already, all I can think of is that the sweat is causing the issue.
If that's the case, I don't see what else I can do, apart from the VR cover, to avoid this happening to my 3rd Quest 2 as well.
But I love it that much that I want to keep on trying!

Any others having similar experiences?
Or any tips to make sure 3rd time's the charm?
20 REPLIES 20

PITTCANNA
Visionary
So i use a quest 2 about 1 to 2 hours a day.  Since the october 12 I am still on the same unit.  I think it's fairly reliable  I play beat saber, thrill of the fight, fit xr, and others.  I kinda want to stay neutral and give customers the benifit of the doubt, but i can't anymore.  I just don't think customers take good care of the head unit.

If your on the third unit chances are you are doing something wrong.  But because customers don't tell the truth on forums and they always blame oculus its hard to take a customers seriously that that.

Also i am doubting you actually own the unit considering this is your first post.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
Well now. I will say that I do Fit XR every single day with no issue with the headset in any manner. I am sweaty at the end and definitely use a gym towel while using the unit. VR workouts are amazing for me as time doesn't drag.

By the way, this is a launch unit.

Caarlitooo
Explorer

PITTCANNA said:

So i use a quest 2 about 1 to 2 hours a day.  Since the october 12 I am still on the same unit.  I think it's fairly reliable  I play beat saber, thrill of the fight, fit xr, and others.  I kinda want to stay neutral and give customers the benifit of the doubt, but i can't anymore.  I just don't think customers take good care of the head unit.

If your on the third unit chances are you are doing something wrong.  But because customers don't tell the truth on forums and they always blame oculus its hard to take a customers seriously that that.

Also i am doubting you actually own the unit considering this is your first post.

I have no issue (and I am kind of glad that I might just have bad luck) people telling the other side of the story if there is one.

But just blaming me of lying and even misleading is ...

It was my first post because, like I said in my first post, It was my first VR headset and I just received it a month ago. When the first one broke after a week, I thought I was just unlucky and sent it back to get replaced. But now seeing exactly the same issue on the second one indeed got me scared. I had no reason to post on here before.

I DO believe I take good care of the unit as I watched lot's of video's before I even got it and decided to use the sweat band and bandana from the first use (and would have bought the VR cover replacement if it was available). I love the workouts and now I have to wait again until I get the replacement. Do you really think I do this for fun?!

I'm constantly thinking what I could do wrong. 
For my 3rd unit I will leave the windows open as doing sports in a small room might get it too humid, but otherwise I have no idea what I could do different!

Here is the picture of my order and second replacement 'order' as I want other people to see this is legit!!
The 3rd one was just received today at the store and I hope it ships today or tomorrow.

432lktavyfiu.png

PITTCANNA
Visionary

PITTCANNA said:

I have no issue (and I am kind of glad that I might just have bad luck) people telling the other side of the story if there is one.

But just blaming me of lying and even misleading is ...

It was my first post because, like I said in my first post, It was my first VR headset and I just received it a month ago. When the first one broke after a week, I thought I was just unlucky and sent it back to get replaced. But now seeing exactly the same issue on the second one indeed got me scared. I had no reason to post on here before.

I DO believe I take good care of the unit as I watched lot's of video's before I even got it and decided to use the sweat band and bandana from the first use (and would have bought the VR cover replacement if it was available). I love the workouts and now I have to wait again until I get the replacement. Do you really think I do this for fun?!

I'm constantly thinking what I could do wrong. 
For my 3rd unit I will leave the windows open as doing sports in a small room might get it too humid, but otherwise I have no idea what I could do different!

Here is the picture of my order and second replacement 'order' as I want other people to see this is legit!!
The 3rd one was just received today at the store and I hope it ships today or tomorrow.

432lktavyfiu.png

I work in quality assurance, and after a 3rd unit i would never sell to you again.  i understand yeah there might be defective units but 2 in under 2 weeks of usage.  there has to be underlying problem.

Caarlitooo
Explorer

I work in quality assurance, and after a 3rd unit i would never sell to you again.  i understand yeah there might be defective units but 2 in under 2 weeks of usage.  there has to be underlying problem.

There have been may other issues with the Quest 2 (deformation of lenses, God rays, Wifi, Floor setting, ...) and some people mention they are on their 5th unit! 

I work +20 years in IT and have many technical goodies. Never had to sent anything back in the last 10 years except for a Devolo Powerline.

As a QA just don't send a new unit? A case of bad luck of manufactoring error ... naaah ... it's the customer

But thanks, I know I can disregard your comments now.
And using your logic: given YOUR amount of post, you probably are a blind fanboy!

PITTCANNA
Visionary

There have been may other issues with the Quest 2 (deformation of lenses, God rays, Wifi, Floor setting, ...) and some people mention they are on their 5th unit! 

I work +20 years in IT and have many technical goodies. Never had to sent anything back in the last 10 years except for a Devolo Powerline.

As a QA just don't send a new unit? A case of bad luck of manufactoring error ... naaah ... it's the customer

But thanks, I know I can disregard your comments now.
And using your logic: given YOUR amount of post, you probably are a blind fanboy!

Not a fan boy, but seeing your post count is so low, and you most likely wanted to vent and clog up the forums.  Most of my posts have helped people with link issues, setting up guardians, and pairing to the smartphone.  Most of the problems have been users not following directions or reading the instructions.

Caarlitooo
Explorer
I'm venting now, that's true, but my first intention was really looking for solutions and this forum seems the right place to do so.. I would love someone to tell me they have similar experiences and/or found a fix or reason so I can avoid it in the future.

I'm actually known for being over careful with tech stuff, and than being accused of not even owning one in the first place and than like I am obviously not taking care of it gets me mad.

I am already thinking about precautions for my 3rd unit (not loading it just after using it, loading it in another socket, use another USB 3 on my PC, keeping my window open for humidity, take more breaks, ...).

Listen, I'm not saying this is normal (that's why I asked on the forum) but I can guarantee I don't do anything I consider bad or harmful and I even took extra precautions with the band and bandana.

I just hope you don't get a product you really like and than have an issue like mine where you simply get told you are the problem!

Caarlitooo
Explorer
Anyone with some constructive advise, please feel free to jump in  😉

aguy10
Heroic Explorer
Be careful plugging in USB C cables. Non common brand names are capable of shorting systems.