cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 3 Wi-Fi goes on and off constantly; after factory reset, the headset will not complete setup

Honored Guest

For this issue, no other wifi-enabled devices are affected; router is in the same room as the headset.

Initial problem- apps would not connect to my account and internet-connected apps would not work, including Worlds and Quest TV. I could not get updates. However, the browser works fine. 

Several times over the last month, the problem would temporarily clear itself, but then return.

I decided to do a factory reset, just in case a software update was the cause. I did the reset, and i get to the window that says "Finish setup in the Meta Quest Mobile App", with a code to insert. I start the app to finish setup, only to have the app freeze at that point. I reloaded the app several times, same issue. I factory reset the headset again and  uninstalled/reinstalled the app, same thing. As I'm doing all this, the headset keeps telling me I've lost wifi again, about every few minutes or so. then the finish setup window returns. Restarting the headset does not help, Restarting the router is no help.

Also, I could not log on to the app orthe oculus support pages with Facebook,  login fails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @AvatarMarc. Thank you for reaching out. Having your headset working with a Wi-Fi network is pretty important regardless of the applications you are using. We are glad to hear that you resolved the issue by using your old router. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to submit a bug report so that any ongoing issues can be investigated by the proper teams.

In the meantime, many users have mentioned that disabling IPv6 on their router has helped with connection issues on their Quest 3. If you test it out and discover that the issues go away, you might consider looking into setting up a subnetwork for your headset using your old router so you can keep the faster speeds for your other devices and still have everything connected to the internet. We hope this information helps. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Honored Guest

From @AvatarMarc: This issue may be solved, for the time being.

I have a relatively new router, a TP-Link AXE7800 Tr-Band Wi-Fi 6E, Model Archer AXE95.  After returning my old Netgear Nighthawk R7350 to service, the app and headset were synched very quickly and the headset returned to full service.  So far I haven't seen any issues, except that now I have an older router online that does not have Wi-Fi 6 and is less secure.  Please do your best to update the Quest 3 headset software to use my newer TP-Link router ASAP. 

Thanks!  Marc

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @AvatarMarc. Thank you for reaching out. Having your headset working with a Wi-Fi network is pretty important regardless of the applications you are using. We are glad to hear that you resolved the issue by using your old router. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to submit a bug report so that any ongoing issues can be investigated by the proper teams.

In the meantime, many users have mentioned that disabling IPv6 on their router has helped with connection issues on their Quest 3. If you test it out and discover that the issues go away, you might consider looking into setting up a subnetwork for your headset using your old router so you can keep the faster speeds for your other devices and still have everything connected to the internet. We hope this information helps. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I couldn't even complete the pairing with mine, and yes, both devices, Q3 and phone are on the same Wifi and band. Returning to Amazon the same day.
Fix YOUR software instead of thanking customers for coming up with a workaround.

MrScottBull
Expert Protege

Are you on V65 firmware at all?

This seems to be an issue with V65 that's borked the WiFi software in the headsets.

My Quest Pro controllers were rarely connecting, (which use WiFi rather than BlueTooth), and when I reset my headset to troubleshoot it, I also had a similiar issue where it took multiple attempts to successfully connect to WiFi.

Whilst my headset and apps seem to he connecting to WiFi with no issue now, my Pro Controllers still seem to be acting up.

I could dream forever, and never stop. I could think of life and beauty, the stars that fade in the sky. The hearts of lovers, the dreams of dreamers.

Hey @MrScottBull! We appreciate your feedback and information regarding your experience with the Quest Pro controllers having some issues in remaining connected even though your headset seems to be working properly now. We are aware of some issues that other users are experiencing with the Quest Pro controllers and we have an open thread here where we're gathering information from many users to try and see if we can narrow down the issues and ultimately resolve the problems in the long run.  We would love to hear your feedback and gather the information in the post to help determine those exact issues.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?