cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 3 controllers need to last longer than 6 months

Occupunk
Heroic Explorer

I had my left controller on my Quest 2 get very bad with drifting and being unable to "click to run" in games, but this was after nearly 2 years of using it.

I am already having issues with my left controller on the Quest 3. When I go the controller calibration screen, where you can move the joystick and see the dot move in the target reticle, the dot is rock solid when I move the stick on the right controller, but the dot using my left controller is very jittery and jumps all over the place.

Why is it that xbox controllers can go for years without having issues, while quest controllers start going bad after 6 months??? I assume it is under warranty, but that means I can't play for weeks while waiting for a new controller?

I see the replacement joysticks for these controllers retail on Amazon for about $8 each. I'll bet they don't cost Meta more than $1 each. Why can't meta spend (say) $2 on them instead of $1 and get some that last twice as long while adding $2 to the cost?

4 REPLIES 4

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ideally, the device lasts forever but ultimately the life varies respective to handling. Find steps below to optimize:

1. Make sure the tracking is turned on

By default, the headset will use 6DoF tracking, unless it has been turned off in the Guardian settings panel or lost tracking while in VR.

• Click on the clock on the left side of the universal menu
  • Select Settings
  • Select System from the Settings panel
  • Select Headset Tracking from the left side panel
  • Make sure Headset Tracking is ticked

2. Clear your boundary history

Bear in mind that if you have multiple accounts on the same headset, boundary history will be cleared for all accounts, not just the account you're currently using.

• Press the Oculus/Meta logo on your right controller
  • Click on the clock on the left side of the universal menu
  • Select Settings
  • In the settings panel, select Boundary
  • Select 'Clear Boundary history'
  • Redraw your Guardian boundaries by selecting 'Adjust Boundary' from the Boundary settings menu

3. Reboot the headset

• Turn the headset off, wait a minute or two, then turn it back on.
    • A restart is a little different so turning the headset off is recommended over just restarting

4. Remove any unsupported third-party accessories that may affect tracking or pairing (such as controller covers, controller attachments, etc.)   

• Last resort: Factory Reset, this will erase all saved data on the device and is irreversible. You will still be able to access purchased content from your account, once you're logged back in. It is recommended to use the headset method over the mobile app.

Keep us posted w/ how else we can assist afterwards if still drifting!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

For your controllers, @Occupunk; use the steps below first before managing the headset:

We'll stay tuned!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Occupunk
Heroic Explorer

Thanks for the info, but I've been lurking the these forums since the quest 3 came out, so was well aware of the standard procedures.

This isn't something that just "happened". I noticed I was having trouble moving in a game about 10 days ago. When I went to the calibration screen, the dot was rock solid for all directions except up, where it jittered like crazy. After trying all the fixes, it seemed to be a little better but not as solid at my right hand controller. Now 10 days later it jitters in all directions. I play for about 2 hours a day on average.

I'll probably just buy a new controller and then try to get warranty sevice on the old one. When the old one finally comes back, I'll just keep it as a spare. At least that way I won't need to be down for the replacement period. How long in total does it take these days to get a controller serviced? Like I said, I've been reading the forums for a while and seem to recall multiple messages where returns have taken a very long time. Has the rush calmed down at all?

Hey, @Occupunk. We appreciate you telling us how you feel and expressing your thoughts on your current situation. We want nothing but to return you to your VR experience, especially seeing how passionate you are. We want to move you over to private messages so we can continue to move forward with getting you a resolution. You can select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message. We hope to hear from you soon!

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?