cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 3 flickering brightness and other issues

Nathiul
Explorer

Just got a Quest 3 and about half the time I start it up I notice the brightness flickers slightly every few seconds or so.  Sometimes I can fix it if I restart the headset, but not always. Is this a software issue to be patched or am I looking at a defective headset? I also seem to have a dozen or so stuck pixels that look green against black backgrounds. And some of my games (mainly Shadowgate and Into the Radius) have some pretty bad juttering at times, very stuttery movements depending on what's going on in game.  I was very excited to get the Quest 3 and still want to be but these things are frustrating to say the least. Anyone else with these issues? Any advice? Thanks.

21 REPLIES 21

z10m
Explorer

Just noticed brightness flicker on mine this morning while being in home environment. 
Restarted the headset and it was still there but went away after about a minute. 
Also been getting brightness flicker all the time in Virtual Desktop but thought it was down to video compression but not sure anymore. 

z10m
Explorer

Now I know that it is 120hz refresh rate that is causing brightness flicker for me.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Nathiul! We certainly know how crucial having a consistent display is to the best VR experience, and we don't want you to continue missing out on that! Stuck pixels can definitely be detrimental to your gameplay, and having smooth movement in-VR is the goal. To help us get a better grasp of what might be causing the issue here, we'd like you to go through the following for us if you're still running into that:

• Are these issues happening when the headset is in standalone mode, or while connected to your PC?
  • Do the stuck pixels happen in an Oculus environment, or with 3rd-party software? Does it happen right away, or after longer sessions of use?
  • Are you able to let us know what headset version your Quest 3 is currently on? 
  • If not already tried, we'd like you to perform a hard reboot, and see if the issue persists from there. Here are the steps to do so:
    • Turn off your headset.
    • Firmly hold the power and volume down (-) buttons on your headset simultaneously for about a minute, or until the boot screen loads on your headset.
    • Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Boot device and press the power button.
    • Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Yes and press the power button.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Howdy, howdy! We're checking in to make sure you were able to get that display issue fixed, or if you've run into any further trouble with that at all. No user should have to deal with that sort of interrupted gameplay, and want to make sure everything went smoothly for you along the way. Please don't hesitate to reach back out if those troubleshooting steps did not prove successful, as we'd love to help! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

For me Meta has replaced the headset and the new one doesn’t suffer from it. 

1starscream1
Explorer

I am now also having brightness flicker every second or two. Is this a hardware issue? Do I return to the store (purchased from target)? The flicker is subtle but enough to be too distracting to use enjoyably.

Hey there, @1starscream1! We understand that you're having some display flickering going on. We know that this can prevent you from having the full VR experience, so we'd love to assist. We're going to provide some troubleshooting for you to try below.

Steps to try:

1. Short press and release the power button to put the headset to sleep. The display will then turn off.
  2. Wait for awhile.
  3. Turn the headset back on. The flickering or static should be gone.

Please let us know, after you try these steps, if the flickering frequently returns. Thank you so much for your patience. We're looking forward to your reply!

Hi again! We hope you're having a good day so far. We just wanted to check in with you and see if you were still having those display issues. If you still need any assistance, please don't hesitate to get back to us so we can continue working towards a resolution with you!

askildo
Honored Guest

I just purchased a meta quest 3 and when i started it up the right eye screen was flickering every other second. Since I haven't even started using it I'm guessing it's defective so I'll just swap it for one that works properly.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?