cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 3 lost all tracking

BlckBrry1
Honored Guest

Brand new quest 3 just arrived, configured an everything was doing pretty well. Was just logging into a game when all tracking just stopped working, a window saying "Tracking lost" showed up, but I couldn't click anything since the controllers stopped working too, hand tracking also wasnt working. I tried cleaning up the cameras with a very soft towel, tried rebooting, resetting to factory settings, everything I could. The screen is either completely black, black with a dot or on the starting screen asking to turn on the controllers, but the screen just moves randomly and isn't following the headset movements at all. There is a white dot blinking on the left controller and they keep vibrating every few seconds. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BlckBrry1
Honored Guest

Update
I've returned it, but before doing so I found out that the issue seems to be that little sensor on the inside of the headset, the one that sits right on the forehead. Everytime something is close enough, all tracking was just gone. When there was nothing on the sensor, I could see the tracking working when in the turn off screen at least, and could click with the controllers, but I was still completely unable to actually do anything other than turn on, turn off and factory reset the device. I'll get another one and hopefully it will be problem free, but if not I'll just wait a few months to try again. I do not believe it was sweat that broke it since it was worn for very little time, and it happened when i slightly adjusted the headset on my face. No force used or any mishandling of the product, it just stopped working. Makes me think there may have been some faulty connections or something of the sort going on in the inside of the headset.

What I did to find out that little sensor was the issue is I was removing the headset and putting it back on a few times. Eventually I just held the power button since the only other screen I could see was the turn off screen. I then noticed the tracking seems to go back so at first I thought it just wasnt built very well, but then I noticed putting my finger on the sensor caused the tracking to die. Apparently there is a way to disable that sensor trough developer tools from the oculus software on pc, but you also have to be able to access the headset's configurations. Not sure it would have helped, but I couldn't try it since I couldnt control anything.

View solution in original post

94 REPLIES 94

bakrdaddy
Honored Guest

Mine just started doing exactly what you described. I've had it for about 8 days.  I haven't tried factory resetting it yet, because from what I'm reading people say the tracking lost stuck floating screen is the same, or worse.  And then they are unable to pair the headset or controllers.  I'm just going to return it tomorrow.

Moose_Man29
Honored Guest

Exact same thing with me. I got it last night and this morning I’m having the issue. I’ll let you know if I come across any solutions. 

user.name.203236
Honored Guest

Don't worry a numnut Oculus employee will reply and tell you to click on their profile, so they will happily help you, but in reality they don't help anyone.

Hey there, everyone. Tracking issues can definitely get in the way of having the best VR experience possible, and we take these matters very seriously. We know you said you had tried a factory reset, and that is a great start. Just to make sure that it was done properly, we've shared the steps here. Additionally, we also wanted to share some more information and tips about our tracking that may be helpful in this case. We're always here to help, and if you want us to take a deeper dive into this, please send us a private message, and we are more than happy to look into this for you. To do so, please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message. We hope to hear from you soon!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

BlckBrry1
Honored Guest

Update
I've returned it, but before doing so I found out that the issue seems to be that little sensor on the inside of the headset, the one that sits right on the forehead. Everytime something is close enough, all tracking was just gone. When there was nothing on the sensor, I could see the tracking working when in the turn off screen at least, and could click with the controllers, but I was still completely unable to actually do anything other than turn on, turn off and factory reset the device. I'll get another one and hopefully it will be problem free, but if not I'll just wait a few months to try again. I do not believe it was sweat that broke it since it was worn for very little time, and it happened when i slightly adjusted the headset on my face. No force used or any mishandling of the product, it just stopped working. Makes me think there may have been some faulty connections or something of the sort going on in the inside of the headset.

What I did to find out that little sensor was the issue is I was removing the headset and putting it back on a few times. Eventually I just held the power button since the only other screen I could see was the turn off screen. I then noticed the tracking seems to go back so at first I thought it just wasnt built very well, but then I noticed putting my finger on the sensor caused the tracking to die. Apparently there is a way to disable that sensor trough developer tools from the oculus software on pc, but you also have to be able to access the headset's configurations. Not sure it would have helped, but I couldn't try it since I couldnt control anything.

Hey @BlckBrry1 we appreciate you sharing similar issues and letting us know your next steps. We do want to let you and all the other great people on this thread to send us a PM if further assistance is still needed. Also if anyone has further 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hey @BlckBrry1 we appreciate you sharing similar issues and letting us know your next steps. We do want to let you and all the other great people on this thread to send us a PM if further assistance is still needed. Also if anyone has further questions or concerns we would love to receive a PM from all as well. We thank you.

peppetdm
Honored Guest

i have the same problem, i lost all trackings, opened a ticket, nobody reply yet........

i would just say outstanding for this kind of product........congrats to meta

Hey there, @peppetdm. We wanted to let you know that we received your PM and we'll be with you as soon as we possibly can! We appreciate your patience in the meantime! 

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?