cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 3 suddenly not charging from battery packs

Worldstage
Honored Guest

I've been successfully gaming for long periods of time using things like Nirvana and Bobo battery backups, in addition to my Elite strap w/ battery.

But suddenly, my Quest 3 has stopped charging from any and all battery backups, aside from the Elite strap. All other batteries make the connection sound and show the main battery as "charging," but no power is moving between the batteries and headset. I'll check a few minutes later, and the external battery is still at 100%, and the charge on my headset going down.

It's been fine for almost a year now, but now suddenly I only have 1 Elite strap's battery life's worth of playtime. I did update my drivers on my PC's Meta Quest Link app, around the time this started, if that might have anything to do with it.

Any idea what might be causing this, or what any potential fixes might be? I have a warranty so I've considered swapping it for a new one, but I wanted to make sure it's not some other issue that might persist even if I got a new unit.

5 REPLIES 5

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Worldstage , We hate to hear that your having recent power issues. Just to confirm, are only having the reported power issues when using 3rd party battery options? We do recommend using only Meta accessories or Meta approved third party accessory developers. As performance could vary using other third-party developers. For more information on how to get the most out of your elite strap please feel free to review the following article here.  

Please let us know if you have any additional questions! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thanks for the response! My overall goal is to extend playtime by having one battery charging while I'm using another; I'm looking at ordering a 2nd Elite strap w/ battery, if only Oculus-brand batteries are reliable. However, can the Elite strap batteries be charged without being plugged into the Quest 3 headset? If so, problem solved! But if not, then the only way to charge the Elite battery would be to stop playing and charge both the strap and headset simultaneously, which I'd like to avoid.

So, two questions:
1) Can the Elite strap battery be charged, by itself, if it's not connected to the Quest 3 headset?
And,
2) Is it possible (and not unhealthy for the battery) to play while the Elite battery is plugged into the headset, but also the battery is hooked up to a charging plug? I know that some devices discourage simultaneous charging and discharging, but I'm not entirely sure how the Elite strap batteries work in this regard.

In any case, thanks again for the support!

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly! To answer your questions: 1. You cannot charge the elite strap separately.  2. Although you could possibly charge will using the elite strap, it's not recommended, as this could cause issues with the overall battery life of your elite strap.

We do hope this provides further clarification, if you have any further questions, please let us know. Happy to help!  

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Okay, good to know, about charging the strap while it's plugged into the headset! I definitely want to keep my battery's life un-shortened.

Just one thing; I experimentally disconnected the Elite strap from the headset and plugged it in, and, weirdly enough, it seems to be charging, and pretty quickly! from 15% to 40% in about a half hour. Is this known to be a function of the Elite strap, or is this just some kind of weird fluke?

Absolutely, @Worldstage! You and us both want players to have the longest battery life possible. The speed of charge depends on your use of an "adapter" versus the charging dock. As well as the battery life for both when connected b/c the headset charges before the strap. Find more details under "Known and expected behaviors," "Charging," etc. using the article(s) below:

Let us know if we can assist further now that you've discovered best practices for not only charging but charging fast! All the best.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?