cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Pro Micro stuttering (found a way to resolve it possibly?)

Lv426HuDz
Level 2

Hello Oculus,

I purchased a Quest pro on the 28/11/22 (3 days ago) and have been battling an issue with micro stuttering.

The micro stutters would happen in the native Oculus home area, via Quest link playing Rift games and also via Quest link playing SteamVR games. My USB test showed 2.5Gbps. I didn't try Air link as my router sucks.

You could easily notice the micro stutters by slowly moving the controllers from Left to right (or vice versa) in front of you, they kinda jerk a little. Also in games that use smooth locomotion you notice the whole image micro stutter a little from time to time. Some people might not comment on this, but coming from a SteamVR headset that didn't have these issues its very annoying.

I spent most of yesterday trying various things recommended on here and on reddit involving debug tool bitrates etcetc, none of which appeared to help. Till finally last night i found the option for "Headset Tracking" which was set to "Auto". I changed this option to the highest setting "60 Hz". The headset rebooted and voila, no more micro stutters?? The controllers when waving them in front of me in the home area were now perfectly smooth. I fired up Half life Alyx via quest link and that was now running perfect to! I was over joyed, till this morning.

I powered up the Headset this morning to carry on testing and unbelievably the micro stutter was BACK 😞 I checked the Headset tracking frequency again to check if it had changed from 60Hz but sadly it had not. So i tried changing it to 50Hz and then back to 60Hz again and this fixed the issue again (phew).

Is this a know issue with a fix in the pipe line? Would be interested if this fixes it for anyone else also.

Cheers,

4 REPLIES 4

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Lv426HuDz! Thanks for sharing some insight with the community, display stuttering can definitely have a huge impact on your VR gaming. It's great to see users sharing tips for a better experience!

If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to our support team, we're always happy to help!

Metaforge
Level 2

I thought I was imagining things until I found this post! Micro stutter is real!

Sadly switching tracking frequency did nothing for me 😕

I’m not so certain that this is just a random tip, but an actual issue that warrants further investigation as my Quest 1, Quest 2 and Quest Pro all do this.

My partner and I managed to optimize our maritime park experience so much that it generally flat lines at 120fps on Quest 2 and 90fps on Quest Pro, and yet we still see micro stuttering while flying around.

Frames.png

Our frame rate is weirdly usually averaging 1fps higher than the screen can even display, and when the screen stutters it doesn't even register on the fps graph as a dropped frame, it just stutters awkwardly. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens it’s quite noticeable and very jarring.

It’s as you say, display stuttering can definitely have a huge impact on VR, so I’d appreciate any insight that you might be able to provide on how to go about getting the issue checked out by someone on Meta’s end.

Cheers!

Hey there, thank you for bringing this to our attention and making us aware. We definitely understand how this can have a major impact on your VR gaming. We are here for you and ready to help. We'd like to invite you to use our private messaging service so we can gather more information from you to investigate this issue further. Please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.