cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the Rift

Hack_InTime
Level 2
So, i don't have a Rift yet, and i probably won't for a while. But there are questions i still have for the future, because trust me, i WILL be getting into VR.
First of all, my big deal was Roomscale. My computer isn't in my room at the moment, but when i make my OWN (the computer i'm using atm wasn't made by me or paid for by me), which will be VR-Ready, hopefully, i want to know some stuff about Roomscale. I'm aware that 3 cameras are recommended and i will be buying a 3rd one after i get the Oculus.

So i have a few questions, one big one in particular being- Is there a minimum size the space in my room i can freely move around in should be? With my current room layout, the space open to me is like a strip of space. It won't be particularly big no matter what, but i can re-configure to get a better SHAPE for it if necessary. Second, what is the BEST camera layout? As in, with 3 cameras, where should i place them? Third, how do extensions effect the tracking of the cameras, and which extensions do any of you recommend?

Now with the controllers, how accurate is the tracking? I've heard the Touch's tracking isn't perfect but does it happen often enough that it would be problematic? And what is the little matte spot on the front of the Touch controllers?

How well does the Rift work with SteamVR? One of the things that has convinced me to eventually buy a VR headset was the game VRChat, and i decided on the Rift due to the ergonomics and practicality of the controllers. Are there any other downsides i should be aware of, including how it works with other software?

These are all the questions i have for now. As i discover more about VR, the Vive and the Rift, i'll have more to ask. But for now, these are my main concerns. Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Hack_InTime
Level 2
Oh, and another one. Would a game like VRChat, which does have the ability to move your character how you actually move, does that require roomscale or 360?

FastForward352
Level 7
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-touch-experimental-360-degree-room-scale,33118.html

Here's for the roomscale question 😉

Half of my games are from Steam and they're working perfectly with steamVR.

Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

Zenbane
Level 15
Is there a minimum size the space in my room i can freely move around in should be? 

I think that minimum is 5x7 - basically enough for your to stretch your hands out without hitting anything.

what is the BEST camera layout?

One of the most effective is: 2 cameras in front of you, one in the back.

Third, how do extensions effect the tracking of the cameras, and which extensions do any of you recommend?

Good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOn9yftdiU8

Now with the controllers, how accurate is the tracking?

Fan-fkin-tastic

I've heard the Touch's tracking isn't perfect but does it happen often enough that it would be problematic?

Tracking is near perfect and with the proper sensor setup you should have countless hours without any noticeable issues.

And what is the little matte spot on the front of the Touch controllers?

Whaa??  

How well does the Rift work with SteamVR? 

SteamVR used to crash for me on rare occasions. It's had several stability updates over the past year though. Most people seem to have zero issues.

Are there any other downsides i should be aware of, including how it works with other software?

Software purchased from the Oculus Store are only accessible by the Rift, natively. To access them with another VR product you have to use 3rd party utilities (like Revive). Other than that... it works great with not only SteamVR but also WebVR. As long as people build their VR Software properly then there shouldn't be any major problems.

Hack_InTime
Level 2
In some pictures i swear i saw a little gray spot on the face of the controllers. huh.

Richooal
Level 12

In some pictures i swear i saw a little gray spot on the face of the controllers. huh.

And what is the little matte spot on the front of the Touch controllers?

Whaa?? 

That would be this....... the thumb rest. There's a proximity sensor under the matt spot.
ek2wlh7i26z0.jpg

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Zenbane
Level 15
oooh. I feel like that's the top of the controller, not the front. But good call, lol

Does anyone actually rest their Thumb on that thing? I never do; my Thumbs are always on the joysticks.