cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus G14 Oculus Rift Cv1 Bad Framerate and Refreshrate

kleipuls
Honored Guest

Hello, I have the 2021 version of the ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop, RTX 3060 and Ryzen 5900 HS.

I tried using Oculus Quest 2 with my laptop for PCVR (Steam) and i got really poor refreshrate on really low resolution, even if i tried to increase the resolution, the refresrate got even worse(I assume these are the issues being how the problem looks like, stuttering,lag, etc...) . I tried to fix the issue tampering the oculus app, debug tool, drivers and nothing worked. Now I got a Rift Cv1 and the problem remains, the thing is now not only I get these issues in steam games, but in SteamVR Home and even in the oculus Interface, it's obviously worse in-game. Please help 😞

2 REPLIES 2

iiLunaX
Honored Guest

Hey! You happen to have the ROG laptop with the AMD Chipset. To fix your issues i would suggest you manually update the AMD Drivers by going to the official AMD website. Whenever you wish to play VR Games you will also have to restart your PC and have it completely unplugged from any external viewing monitors/devices for the best experience possible. (basically anything attached to a USBC/Display Port Port on your PC, or any HDMI or alternative display ports on your PC). Otherwise, remove all external monitors whilst making sure your laptop screen is running, then boot up your choice of VR Program and you should be good to go. It is likely your virtual desktop and link setups are fine. 

ohgrant
Superstar

Still on Windows 10? Win 11 not currently supported.  I have a strong suspicion your general issue is USB controllers more than graphics. That stuttering is something many CV1 owners had to upgrade to a better USB 3 card to fix.

Not sure how many sensors/cameras you have, but if you can spread them out on other controllers, that may bring you some relief. Possibly also not getting getting enough current. You may want to try a powered USB hub. If you have an expansion port, you may want to consider a good USB 3 card. Also I would make sure to turn off USB power management in the windows control panel.  

I may be wrong but I highly suspect you will get much more joy trying your Quest again but concentrate on wireless to get away from all the USB issues that are inherent to VR with laptops. Airlink is a great option, but if you are having issues with Steam, Virtual Desktop may be a better option. It doesn't need the Oculus PC app running and it has built in ASW.   

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.