cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random pixelated bars when using oculus link

Blue_Meanie
Explorer

I bought an Oculus Quest 2 about 6 months ago and it has been working fine either standalone or using oculus link (I use a Kiwi Cable for this). I stopped playing it for a little while but for the last 2 weeks or so, randomly a pixelated bar will sometimes show at the top and bottom of the screen, they look really low resolution but the centre of the screen is always perfectly clear. The monitor that mirrors the gameplay has no issues either. Most of the time they go away after a few minutes, but there has been one occasion where the bars seemed to 'grow' over the entire screen and couldn't see until I completely restart the Quest 2. This only happens when using link, not had any issues with standalone games.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

12 REPLIES 12

I am still having this issue despite spending days trouble shooting through every possible solution I could find. Problem is, this is the only place online that covers this issue. 

These are semi-transparent blurry pixelated bars that go across the screen vertically, appearing in random vertical locations at any given time. Sometimes they don’t bother much, and sometimes they completely distort the image impeding gameplay. Sometimes there are multiple bars across the screen.

I’m using a 2017 iMac 32gb DDR 4.2GHz Intel Core i7 with a Radeon 580 running bootcamp Windows 10.

The cable I got is a Syntech.

Hello @Frank_Aliberti. Thanks for sharing this incident with us. 

There's nothing as annoying as glitches. We despise them. We'd love to fix this issue with you however, Macs and Macbooks aren't compatible with the Meta Quest 2. 

Yes, a Meta Quest 2 can be connected to an Apple Mac or MacBook. But not for gaming, and not with the same ease of use as connecting your Quest to a PC.

And as far as the cables, we recommend only using the Oculus Cable Link or the Anker USB 3.0 cable with the Meta Quest 2.

We hope this helps to clarify the situation for you.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

No, that didn’t help at all. How about everyone else here who had the same issue and aren’t using Apple hardware? No solution was presented to them, except copying and pasting some generic and broad manual entry on the resolutions settings of the link app. So it’s not an Apple hardware issue because these people are using a PC.

And its’s also not a cable brand issue since other people here experiencing this are using the supported cable mentioned and still experience this issue

To anyone else reading this that still needs help, and maybe are using Apple hardware on bootcamp, lowering the refresh rate might help getting rid, or lowering the incidence of these pixelated bars. 

I was able to play Half Life Alyx for about 1 hour at 80Hz with the pixelated bar appearing only once at the very start. It’s counter intuitive to lower the refresh rate, but at 120Hz it was almost impossible to do anything because of how many times these pixelated bars would appear.

Support here in this thread is obviously not well trained or knowledgeable enough to help, nor shows enough interest in solving people’s problem so I hope this helps someone.