cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Resolved] - Quest 3 Elite Strap with Battery only connects for a few seconds

jdd1.2023
Honored Guest

Is anyone working on the Quest 3 elite battery issue?  It charges but won’t connect to the headset for more than a few seconds, meaning you cannot charge through the back port.

837 REPLIES 837

@richa138 I got my replacement on the 21st and used it every day since for at least 3 hours or so, I’ve ran the strap battery down a number of times now and so far it seems to be ok and pretty stable, yep it’s still early days I know but I’ll be sure to report any new faults on this thread should any arise. Hopefully your issue and any replacement is sorted for you soon, 

richa138
Explorer

Good to know, thank you xxSWAN2023xx

@teemu_hil wrote:

A new unit manufactured in 12/2023 has a corrected software in the IC circuit. 

Citation? Has Meta said this somewhere? 

If true, good news either way. 

I know this is an 81-page topic, but the information is all there. To summarize:

* People started reporting problems with their battery straps not charging. The one we're dealing with here is the one where it shows up for a few seconds when you plug it in, and then disconnects. Some people had this problem right away, some had it after weeks or months of everything working fine. But once it happens, it's irrecoverable.

* At the beginning, Meta would send replacements, and then the replacements would have the same issue. Because the failure takes time to manifest, this caused confusion over whether it was fixed or not.

* Rumors started surfacing in November that there was a recall. In late November, you could no longer buy a Q3 battery strap, and Best Buy employees confirmed that they were taking them off the shelves and unable to sell any that they had.

* One blog claimed to have a statement from Meta that they were aware of the problem and working on it: https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-elite-battery-strap-quest-3-recall/. Another site (https://mixed-news.com/en/meta-quest-3-elite-strap-with-battery-sales-pause-firmware-update/) reported a more detailed statement that says it all: "this update must be applied at the factory during manufacturing and is therefore not available for units that have already been shipped. Meta is currently manufacturing units with the new firmware, and as soon as they are available, we can replace your unit with a new unit that uses the firmware update" (emphasis added)

* In late December, some people who were waiting for replacements got weird notices that their orders were cancelled and new orders had been created. It seems this was likely due to Meta getting set up to send them the fixed units. Shortly after, people started getting their RMAs, and the Quest 3 battery strap once again became available direct from the Meta store.

* While https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-3-elite-battery-strap-pause/ reported that they're available again, I have never seen a definitive statement from Meta that the units now being shipped are the fixed ones. But it's an  obvious conclusion. Given that they acknowledged the issue, said they needed to manufacture new ones, pulled them off the shelves, halted sales for a month, and then started shipping replacements again, it would be very bizarre if they are shipping them without the fix.

you havent dealt with meta support if you think them shipping broken units would be bizarre 😂 im now on replacement 5, and the last one was manufactured 12/23.

watcherseven
Honored Guest

Just had a chat with the meta chat professional regarding the fact that my elite strap with battery for meta quest 3 is not charging and he said to charge the battery first and then try the battery in the quest. Well the battery alone only charged to 92% for 2 hours and then when i placed it back in the quest usb-c port it would not recognize it either. got mine in October 2023, guess mine is also defective. Really sux that it took 3 months to figure that out as it was working fine til 2pm today 😞

@MrBeats_6000 "and the last one was manufactured 12/23."

Do you mean the last one that was defective again or the last one that you received from Meta?

THANK YOU for taking the time to write up that summary!

Cr1cr1
Explorer

I have received the second replacement strap battery. It is manufactured 12/2023.

I'll let you know if the issue comes back but I'm optimistic. 

Globally, behind the technical issue itself, I'm very satisfied of Meta support service level and speed.

correct, last defective was mfd 12/23 according to the box...