cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift: Audio is popping and stops working after between 1 to 5 minutes.

joelthedangerou
Explorer
So the audio in my oculus rift pops and crackles, and after a while the audio stops working. I have to disable & enable the sound device to fix it, alternatively reconnect the rift. Anyone with the same problem with a fix? The device is plugged into a usb 3.0 input, and the motherboard im using is a asus z97 motherboard. Anyone got any ideas?

Before i had problems with the HDMI connection dropping when i touched the headset/put it on a little more stress. But strangely i solved it going into BIOS and fiddeled around the USB settings it fixed the problem, really weird. I was sure it was a hardware problem with the HMD. Maybe the soldering just clicked after the headset was warmed up a while and that is why it stopped. Maybe the problem will return today after work tho...
11 REPLIES 11

Percy1983
Superstar
I had this issue when using my z77 boards on board intel USB3 ports, moved the rift to an expansion card and all was fixed.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

joelthedangerou
Explorer

Percy1983 said:

I had this issue when using my z77 boards on board intel USB3 ports, moved the rift to an expansion card and all was fixed.

I was hoping to be able to solve this through software and not buying an additional card. I purchased a usb 3.0 controller card, but it made the problems worse, the sensor did not work at all and the headset randomly shut down. So i returned the controller.

joelthedangerou
Explorer
Does anyone have a clue how to solve this? I don't want to buy another USB card if it is the rift that is faulty.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Have you tried a different USB port?  Should work fine on USB2 also.

joelthedangerou
Explorer

TwoHedWlf said:

Have you tried a different USB port?  Should work fine on USB2 also.

Yeah, all kinds of ports. Event the front facing USB ports of my pc, with all kinds of configurations. Nothing solves the audio issue, and all other combinations results in more problems, like disconnects and so on. Even one time one of the displays in the headset went black while playing, the left one to be precise. And i did nothing. I just leaned forward a little bit when it happened. Although i think that is a coincidence. I guess there wasnt enough power to both of the displays in the headset.

Im going absolutely nuts here, im currently considering buying a new motherboard for like $1500 dollars or something.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

I just leaned forward a little bit when it happened. Although i think that is a coincidence. I guess there wasnt enough power to both of the displays in the headset.

That sounds like maybe you need to reseat the HMD side of the cable.  Have you done that?    I assume you've logged a ticket with Support, they'll probably ask you to do the same thing.  Might be a faulty cable even.

joelthedangerou
Explorer

TwoHedWlf said:

I just leaned forward a little bit when it happened. Although i think that is a coincidence. I guess there wasnt enough power to both of the displays in the headset.

That sounds like maybe you need to reseat the HMD side of the cable.  Have you done that?    I assume you've logged a ticket with Support, they'll probably ask you to do the same thing.  Might be a faulty cable even.

Yeah i have reseated it, i removed it and re-inserted it. Nothing really changed at all. Im taking all kinds of suggestions. Im suspecting something is wrong usb-related..

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you installed the Asus AI Suite II it conflicts with Rift audio. You'll have to wipe it from the system. See this article. 
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28319-AI-Suite-II-uninstall-cleaner
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

joelthedangerou
Explorer

If you installed the Asus AI Suite II it conflicts with Rift audio. You'll have to wipe it from the system. See this article. 
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28319-AI-Suite-II-uninstall-cleaner

Thank you for taking your time to answer. I dont have any asus software installed. I even formatted my harddrive and installed rift on it so no software at all, very clean, except the standard windows 10 things that comes with it. And of course the drivers that windows 10 installs.

Can this be a problem with my motherboards USB controller? It really doesnt sound like a hardware problem. This noise popping and crackling and shutting down after a minute or two, is it a common problem that people have reported to you guys? Im just wondering, because if it isnt common or something youve known about, maybe i need to replace my motherboard.

I dont know what to do anymore.