cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S cameras suddenly failing to enumerate?

BlunderingFool
Honored Guest

So here's a weird one. I've been getting a sensors can't track error and have spent the last two diagnosing it. It was working fine one day and then then next, after being moved into another room, boom. No tracking what so ever. Brought it back into the bedroom and yup, same issue so it's not an environment thing.

So far:

The Oculus runtime software has been repeatedly nuked and reinstalled.

Windows 10 is updated.

AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition (AMD drivers FYI) is fully updated (neither the stable or beta branch helped).

Every single USB port has been tried. And weirdly, the setup is under the mistaken belief my two USB2 ports are in fact USB3, these should have thrown up an error, which is erroneous behavior on its own.

I've done the whole unplug/replug dance, checked the cables on both ends (No visible damage, no surprise. I take care of my things.)

Checked the length of the cable, although fairly pointless, no signs of damage since I'm not a "Free mover" in VR, I at most get turned around 90 degrees so twisting has never been an issue and the cables have always been left slack.

Looking for answers I jumped into my logs and found this interesting bit near the start:

12/01 21:29:10.128 {INFO} [Tracking:Manager] Entering tracking thread
12/01 21:29:10.128 {INFO} [HW:Enumeration] Performing initial camera enumeration
12/01 21:29:10.130 {INFO} [HW:Enumeration] 0 sensors detected
12/01 21:29:10.130 {INFO} [HW:Enumeration] HMDs: 0, Displays: 0
12/01 21:29:10.130 {INFO} [HW:Enumeration] Connected devices: 0 Camera(s)
12/01 21:29:10.152 {INFO} [xrstreaming] failed to open device vid=2833, class=ff, subclass=89: (10) no device
12/01 21:29:10.152 {DEBUG} [xrstreaming] Available device(s):
12/01 21:29:10.155 {WARNING} [xrstreaming] Failed to construct channel for winusb,2833,ff,89

I've also seen more camera related errors.

12/01 21:29:12.626 {WARNING} [KMHal] (HAL): WARNING: (hal_impl_camera_wmf_win.cpp:190): Num cams: 0, 0
12/01 21:29:12.726 {WARNING} [KMHal] (HAL): WARNING: (hal_impl_camera_wmf_win.cpp:190): Num cams: 0, 0

And this little line further down is worrying.

12/01 21:29:16.068 {WARNING} [KMCore] [VISION][SensorRegistration] Unable to convert sensor ID '' to int: Empty input string

And the following looks bad, too, may be the root cause issue?

12/01 21:29:16.126 {!ERROR!} [KMHeadsetPlugin] [USB] Couldn't get USB info for active tracking device!

I'm pretty sure this is where the issue is. Now keep in mind, I've only taken this thing apart as far as it takes to clean it, that means sliding the head-band out of it's tray on the headset side (Yes, the toggle switch WAS flipped to the correct position. I am not a cave man.) and disconnecting the DP/USB cable and headphone cable. Neither of these show any damage.

The only actual damage to the unit, amusingly, is the same cracking that other people have noted in the headband, the 'bridge' where the band connects to the tray. That just showed up one day but has never impacted functionality before since it's just a cosmetic manufacturing defect, been there for at least a year and a half. Weird how it's always the same place but there you go, one single, known, non-vital issue.

So yea, does anyone know how to get the bleedin' cameras working agian? I'm on the cusp of taking out a loan and buying a Valve Index instead. X.x

6 REPLIES 6

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! We don't like to see our users have this kind of issue. We know how important it is to get everything working as it should. Not to worry. We recommend connecting with our specialized team here. We'll be able to better assist you with this. We also recommend adding your PC log files to the ticket. This will help us in our research to find the cause of the issue. If you require assistance creating a ticket, please let us know!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

We would like an outcome.  What happened and what was the solution?  I have the same problem. 

Hiya @Ralpheebaby, we noticed you're having the same issue as detailed in the original post. We understand how inconvenient this may be, but let's work together to figure this pesky problem out! As for an outcome, we need more information about your headset so that we can provide accurate assistance. So that we can deep dive into this issue for you, please reach out to us from Meta Store Support, as we have a live chat, emails, and callback options for you to choose from. 

If you are able to, please attach your PC log to your support ticket as well. We hope this information was useful, and we hope to hear from you soon!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I would like to add that I am having the exact same issue. The headset is hellbent on not wanting to enumerate the cameras which is also giving me the exact same error as others have mentioned. That I cannot get the headset to register the sensors.

This also came from one day to the other and it evident on two separate computers.

Sincerely,

Michael Hansen

Hello there @michael.hansen.1982, we were waddling on by and noticed you are having issues with your Rift sensors. We know being unable to have the sensors work can affect your ability to play in PCVR, and we want to do all that we can to assist you on this matter!

So to start off, we want you to please review the following:

• Try another USB 3.0 port.
  • Update USB drivers.
  • Remove any USB splitters/Extensions.
  • Disconnect the headset cable from the PC and from the headset and inspect it for and damage (Bent pins, frays, twists, kinks, etc).
    • Note: When reconnecting to the PC, you should connect the USB cable first, then the display port cable to the dedicated graphics card.

If the issue persists, please PM us so that we may look into this deeper for you.

To do so, please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

Hiya hiya! We're just moseying on over to see if you are still in need of assistance. If so, please don't hesitate to PM us. Thank you!