cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S is not working on my PC even though it is 100% compatibile

filuuu
Explorer

Hello,

I just bought used Rift S. It is working fine on other PCs but not mine...

The PC:

7700k, MSI Z170a sli plus, GTX1080

What is not working:

I cannot even complet setup/tutorial. I am stuck at "complete setup in VR".

This is not black screen issue - when i put on the headset i see choppy 1, 2 frames of the proper image before it goes black and my oculus app restarts showing "Error with oculus hardware" with no error ID or anything.

What I tried:

Used all other usb 3.1 ports (usb 2.0 ports works as expected - stable showing 3 dots..)

Display ports change

Oculus app reinstal, repair etc.

What i noticed is when i skip the tutorial and try to configure the safe zone - same thing happens

When i try to put on the headset while the tutorial is playing videos etc - it is restarting - as if putting picture/power on the heaset causes it to crash.

My initial thought was the usb ports so:

bios xhci disabled - did not help

power options - usb sleep turned off

device manager - unmarked "allow system to control this device" in the power options

I am oficially out of ideas 😞 Please help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

That may help.

The biggest issue with the Rift-S is it uses a lot of power.

I found the pci-e usb expansion cards I used for my Rift CV1 didn't help the Rift-S, but plugging it into a powered usb hub fixed all issues.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

filuuu
Explorer

Well.. actually legendary format c: helped.

Freshly installed Win10 and 11 has no issue now on my hardware.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rift S issues?!?! This is not the experience we want regarding your VR device. Don't worry were here to help direct you to the right way so we can get you back in the amazing world of VR. For us to look more into this for your we will need to gather your logs! However due to the limited tools we have through our Forums we will need to connected with our Meta Store Support! 

You can click here to get connected with one of our awesome agents through a live chat or even scheduling a call!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Well maybe it's only 99% compatible, lol!  Your MB seems way out of date so unless you can upgrade this and/or its bios, I'm not sure you're going to have much success.  Contact meta support with your log files and see if they have any other suggestions.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

I just bought a set of usb 3.1 ports via pci-e. I hope it works then...

That may help.

The biggest issue with the Rift-S is it uses a lot of power.

I found the pci-e usb expansion cards I used for my Rift CV1 didn't help the Rift-S, but plugging it into a powered usb hub fixed all issues.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

for me it is something wrong with MB usb  controller, it shows me a frame of two before shutting down, so I have high hopes for the PCI-E usb option
If its still not working I will use my old dell dock station on usb-c to use as powered usb hub

filuuu
Explorer

aaand pci-e did not work, connected via sata cable 😞 guess my mb is in fact that old.. will give dell dock a shot now

dell powered usb 3.1 dock also did not help! all solutions have the same issue as in the begining.. 2-3 frames and then oculus app reboots and i cry... UGH

filuuu
Explorer

Well.. actually legendary format c: helped.

Freshly installed Win10 and 11 has no issue now on my hardware.