cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S troubleshooting steps when display isn't working?

christians.134859
Honored Guest

I have a Rift S and the display is not working. 

I can usually see the program I'm running on the monitor but the headset is always black.

I get a white light on the inside and the blue light on the outside.

it shows my devices (controls and headset) with a green dot as if they are working in the Oculus client. 

Here is what I tried so far?

• updated every firmware/driver I can including:  USB, GPU, motherboard, AMD chipset, windows 10,
  • white listed Oculus client in Norton 
  • uninstalled from setup app and reinstalled
  • tried various USB ports
  • Tried different variations of unplugging and replugging the USB and display ports in different orders

Is there a log somewhere that might give me a better hint?  What am I missing? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

christians.134859
Honored Guest

I got this working today.  Support got back to me with these suggested steps: 

Uninstall the Rift S hubs:

1. Open the Oculus app and plug in the USB cable. Not the DisplayPort.
2. Open device manager
3. Go to Universal serial bus controllers
4. Uninstall/remove the Rift S items listed.
5. Once removed; click scan for hardware changes at the top of device manager and wait a few minutes for the items removed to come back.
6. Unplug and re-plug the USB.
7. Wait for the app to detect the USB connection, then plug in the DisplayPort. 

We got some weird behavior with controller tracking and static on the screen.  We removed the software using the Oculus uninstaller.  We removed the c:/program files/Oculus directory and the Oculus directories under %user%/appdata/. 

Then reinstalled and everything is now working.   

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

christians.134859
Honored Guest

I got this working today.  Support got back to me with these suggested steps: 

Uninstall the Rift S hubs:

1. Open the Oculus app and plug in the USB cable. Not the DisplayPort.
2. Open device manager
3. Go to Universal serial bus controllers
4. Uninstall/remove the Rift S items listed.
5. Once removed; click scan for hardware changes at the top of device manager and wait a few minutes for the items removed to come back.
6. Unplug and re-plug the USB.
7. Wait for the app to detect the USB connection, then plug in the DisplayPort. 

We got some weird behavior with controller tracking and static on the screen.  We removed the software using the Oculus uninstaller.  We removed the c:/program files/Oculus directory and the Oculus directories under %user%/appdata/. 

Then reinstalled and everything is now working.   

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?