cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift graphics

phillyd023
Expert Protege
Why are the game graphicson the monitors so crisp and clean and awesome and in game they are usually fuzzy and not as good as the monitor?
4 REPLIES 4

Put the tip of your nose against your monitor and play a game. Graphics not so clear now?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
To answer the question, it's not that the graphics are bad, but the source that the image comes from to the display is different. When you watch people playing on the rift or the vive they will pic one eye and then take that image source from the video and use that as the stream video. They are not taking the video from with in the headset it self (how could they really?)

With that said, what you are seeing is the limits of current gen resolution. That is way there is a big push/rush(?) for the next generation headsets to double or even triple their resolution using either small high resolution displays or double up on the number of displays used.

After a while though, the resolution shouldn't matter as much as your brain and eyes will take that as the norm and move on. Really, I think Gen1 looks pretty good so far (I came from old CRT generation) for what it is. I'm sure Gen2 will look just as good as today's monitors are today.

DTH
Heroic Explorer
I'm very happy with what I see.  I just want to go wifi.  I get wrapped up in the cable too much

lunaticedit
Protege
You have to remember that you aren't simply looking at two screens really close. There a distortion lense between the screen and your eyes. As mentioned above, look at your screen from two inches away. To get the picture you see it basically has to render 2k resolution. 4k is extremely taxing and most games today that are 4k do checkerboard rendering just to get 60fps. Oculus needs to do full screen rendering at 90fps. A machine that can do this would undoubtedly cost at least 3 grand today. You're at the NES days of VR. Sit back and enjoy the ride