cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running initial setup and do not get display in headset.

kwakaman39
Explorer
Hi first off.

Purchased the Rift in the sale but my gaming pc needs a total rebuild.
So wanted to test the rift on my partners MSI GE72 7RE Apache laptop (Intel 630 and 1050Ti 4gb).  Seen these running rift on youtube.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-k1LzjPIhY

Anyway, did compatibility check. All ticked with plus apart from GPU which had a green tick and a minus sign.

Started set up.

All usb and hdmi connected ok. All detected. Stuck at the point were says continue set up in vr headset. I have NO Display!!!

Need to check if laptop has a dp port and get adapter.

Tried... F2 screen duplicate -fail. DO get sound.
Tried integrated gpu settings (intel). Recognises Oculus TV display but wont allow it when hit apply.{no display found).
Tried 3d settings in NVidia drivers. (cant find multi screen option) Very poor driver interface. Used to amd crimson.
Tried setting global graphics to the 1050.

Still no display.
If unplug hdmi/headset I can skip set up and when get to home app, all devices are connected ok.
They also show up in windows devices.
All gpu and windows 10 pro up to date. Running new creators edition (incase that's the problem?).

When in home it says set up rift and I get back to were I get stuck in set up.

Also now get gpu requirements not met when get to home page. Even though test says reaches requirements. (all beit with a green minus tick)???

.............................................................................................
So........my testing failed. Should I just continue to try and get this running on a laptop or hold off till I get my full gaming pc desktop built in a few months and hope it works?

Guess as long as test before warranty runs out it will be ok?

..........................................................................................
On a side note, I wonder if the 1050Ti requirements are based on desktop 4gb Gpus? Not sure if laptop versions hold the same power even if are the 4gb versions.  

Any help/advice?

kwaka
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
"I wonder if the 1050Ti requirements are based on desktop 4gb Gpus"

Probably yes,
Nvidia says that GTX 1050 or 1050ti is not VR Ready, does this mean it won't get support or GPU is missing VR features, don't know.

"Not sure if laptop versions hold the same power even if are the 4gb versions"

No they don't. 
 Desktop GPU is more powerful than laptop GPU
Don't listen those paid Youtube enthusiast. Laptops are expensive, they have poor air flow, limited ports and they do not stand a chance againts desktops when it comes to gaming.

If you are a gamer and going to VR then stay out of laptops, no wonder they are a joke among players.

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
Your hdmi port may be the motherboard port and not the actual gpu port

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

"I wonder if the 1050Ti requirements are based on desktop 4gb Gpus"

Probably yes,
Nvidia says that GTX 1050 or 1050ti is not VR Ready, does this mean it won't get support or GPU is missing VR features, don't know.

"Not sure if laptop versions hold the same power even if are the 4gb versions"

No they don't.  Desktop GPU is more powerful than laptop GPU
Don't listen those paid Youtube enthusiast. Laptops are expensive, they have poor air flow, limited ports and they do not stand a chance againts desktops when it comes to gaming.

If you are a gamer and going to VR then stay out of laptops, no wonder they are a joke among players.

Some of us have gaming laptops for when we deploy overseas.
Just saying.
WAAAGH!

kwakaman39
Explorer

Your hdmi port may be the motherboard port and not the actual gpu port

Yeah, traced it back and found the rifts hdmi does run of the intel 630. Tried everything to swop to 1050 without going in to the Bios and changing it.

Shant be using a laptop for my gaming. Just wanted to check the new rift worked ok. As it will be several months before I can get my Amd Ryzen 1600x build together.

Saw the guy in the video running it on the same laptop and thought I would just try it out.

Shall be making a start building soon.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Seen these running rift on youtube.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-k1LzjPIhY

That's not a rift. It's the HTC Vive. Different software, drivers and compatibility.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morgrum said:

Some of us have gaming laptops for when we deploy overseas.
Just saying.

Justifying your own investment? That is ok and very common thing about people but if people start altering truth to make own purchase seem like a great investment that is when I stand up.

kwakaman39
Explorer
@Kojack.   True....hadn't spotted that, but am sure the vive still needs the 1050ti to run via hdmi to run it.