cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensors can't track headset/Three dots of death - faulty/corrupted Rift S USB Hub driver?

Worset
Honored Guest

This is an issue I've struggled with for the better part of a couple of weeks now. This is an issue that many other users seem to have struggled with both recently and years past from now. This isn't even the first time I've encountered an issue like this. And without a doubt this is something that Oculus/Meta/whatever is already more than aware of. But I 'think' I've identified a root cause for this issue, it's just a matter of figuring out where to go from here.

Context/Symptoms - As I have already said, this issue arose a couple of weeks back. Went to don my headset, and the first thing I see is a black screen with three blinking dots in the middle of my line of sight. I can still hear the sound coming out of my headset though. Chances are, you already have an idea of what I'm talking about.

I went straight into the device setup for my Rift S device, thinking just a simple 'reset' would fix it. But then: 

image_2022-07-06_191101105.png

You can kind of guess where this is going.

After a lot of futilely attempting every basic workaround I could find online, eventually going into the Device Manager I noticed something. For the uninitiated, when your Rift S headset is in fully working order, your Device Manager should show two separate 'Rift S USB Hub' entities under the Universal Serial Bus section. But for me, it looks more like this:

Capture.PNG

(Also included the other USB devices here to give a better idea of what I'm working with - maybe something here is relevant?)

For the record, this shows up usually when I have the headset plugged in to the powered USB 3.0 hub I bought specifically to combat this issue. Otherwise, when plugged into the computer itself, sometimes only the single Rift S hub shows up, but not the second. Perhaps something to do with how much power the headset is receiving, which is apparently a possible factor? Which is the reason I got that powered hub to begin with, but I digress.

Anyway yes, I've tried every port, and yes, I've ensured that it is always a 3.0 (blue) port. Something else that might be worth noting is that the blue light on the front of the headset isn't turning on, as if the sensors aren't being activated whatsoever. 

So now that I've identified (or at least I think I have) that the issue 'might' be driver-related, I tried a load of other workarounds and solutions - which I will list further down - but none of them have yielded any positive results, which leads me here. This is my last ditch effort to fix this, and if this ends up going nowhere I'll most likely ditch this PoS entirely and find some other VR kit that will actually work - preferably not from Oculus/Meta. (Don't worry, all of my VR games are on Steam, so I will be losing literally nothing)

Attempted Solutions - Oh boy, this is probably gonna be so long that I'll likely miss something, but here goes nothing:

• Plugged into every USB 3.0 port on my computer, I also tried a powered USB 3.0 hub which I bought believing this might be a power-related issue (This one specifically, since I had seen it recommended elsewhere: https://www.amazon.co.uk/atolla-SuperSpeed-Charging-Splitter-Individual/dp/B099MLL1FG/ref=sr_1_4?key... ) and tried every port on that. No dice. (Note: I mentioned above that sometimes the unknown USB device isn't present when the headset is plugged into the computer and not the hub, so it seems like the hub is doing something maybe?)
  • Uninstalled the working Rift S driver (and removed the driver software with it), the faulty one, and every USB port on my computer through the Device Manager. I've tried this both with and without Oculus running in the background, with and without my headset being plugged in. Sometimes the faulty one would stay gone for a while, until it inevitably came back, but I was still left with only one working Rift S USB Hub device, which isn't enough.
  • Checked the power management settings for every USB port, - 'allow computer to turn this device off' is unchecked for every single one - customised my computers' power plan to disable USB selective suspending, and set my computer itself to it's highest performance setting.
  • Uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired etc. the Oculus software itself. I also made sure I removed all the AppData and ProgramFIles Oculus folders every time I did - all that really did was make me have to sign into my accounts again.
  • Ran the 'oculus-drivers.exe' program - worked for resetting the drivers I had uninstalled, but not fixing the broken one. Again, tried it both with and without the headset plugged in.
  • Detaching and reattaching the headset end of the cable into the headset itself. Even tried cleaning out the ports just in case. (Side note: why would the headset not being plugged in properly be the issue if the computer can still detect the headset and send sound and video output TO the headset? The program on my computer must be creating and sending the three dots screen to the headset after all)
  • Tried another headset cable I had lying around - like I mentioned before, this isn't the first time I had an issue like this, and sending me a replacement cable did work, but if a replacement cable is only a temporary solution then I REALLY don't want to be sent another replacement for my current replacement, I want something a bit more permanent, or at least easily replicable. And I know attempting to use the original cable that my current one is replacing sounds like a stretch (and it probably is), but I was desperate at this point.
  • Turning on and off the beta channel in the oculus app. Downloaded the updates but nothing notable changed.
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 using the ISO on Microsoft's website - this way I could reinstall the drivers, updates, etc. without losing my apps and programs. This actually showed some promise initially, as the Rift S drivers (USB, audio etc.) actually did reinstall - but nothing changed or got fixed. Still couldn't pass the sensor check.
  • Tried rolling back the drivers and firmware using both of these methods: ( https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/llo2gk/google_drive_folder_of_various_oculus_pc_client/ ) & (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/hnfhdx/psa_you_can_revert_oculus_drivers_to_fix/ ). The only change was that sometimes I would get a notification about setting an Oculus password because I was using a Facebook account or something silly like that. The failure rate for the headset connecting at all also got much higher. (To be fair, it does seem that this particular solution is intended to resolve issues regarding the display port which I never experienced, but eh, 'twas worth a try).
  • Checked for updates to my graphics card. I did have an update for a 'game-ready' driver which I installed but didn't do anything to rectify this specific problem.
  • Checked for updates to my AMD motherboard. Found a program on their website that installed a bunch of chipset drivers, but they didn't help either.
  • Checked camera permissions in the settings. Here's how it looks:

image_2022-07-06_192928753.png

What I Haven't Tried

• A PCI-E card. I've already spent enough money trying to fix this issue, and my money situation is already difficult as is. Even then, I don't really have the knowledge or confidence to try and install components myself, and although this particular solution seems to work for most people, it has also been a dud for others. I'm not going through all that effort for something that might or might not work. I've already done that once with the powered hub.
  • A fresh, clean Windows install. Idk what this would accomplish that the ISO method didn't, and I don't really want to find out - I have a lot of important work-related s**t on my PC so I'm not taking any chances.
  • Testing the headset on someone else's PC - although technically speaking I have tried this one. My brother actually has the original Rift, and it actually works, so I figured I could try using my headset on his PC and see if anything changes. Unfortunately though, his PC only has HDMI ports and no Display Ports, so I couldn't do it. Maybe we have an adapter or something somewhere, or maybe I just missed it - I might come back to this one, and will update if anything comes of it.

Computer Specs (cause I know someone will inevitably ask about this) -

Motherboard: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.70 GHz

16GB of RAM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

This machine is 100% VR-capable, I have without a doubt played VR titles on this machine with performance issues only arising if I have GeForce Experience screen-recording/instant replay enabled.

Maybe there's more, idk, I just mentioned everything I thought was relevant.

I have not made any modifications to this machine since I bought it, this is the hardware it came with.

And last but not least: Logs -

***EDITED MESSAGE TO REMOVE PII*** 

I think that about covers everything. I tried to be as thorough and comprehensive in this post as I possibly could because I just want to know once and for all if this is a problem that can actually be fixed or if I should just give up on Meta VR for good. I'm heavily leaning toward the latter atm, so consider this my last hope. 

- Worset

18 REPLIES 18

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! We sincerely appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done and we'd like to help you out however we can. Please submit a support ticket HERE and be sure to attach your log files directly to your email as well as outline all the troubleshooting you've done so far so we can give you the best solution we can. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Perakos
Honored Guest

Any luck on finding a solution? I have the same issue man

Linear
Explorer

Hi guys !

I had the same issue just few days ago, and I solved this "USB signal" bug just by deleting Oculus USB devices from this branch (without deleting drivers itself)... And after device refresh finishes - all my Oculus devices was back to normal. (But one thing is a bit different for my case - I have dedicated PCI-E expansion USB3 card with separated power line into it)

The main reason for this problem was latest oculus software update, which hangs something in power settings for Oculus Rift S drivers... Don't know why...2326.jpg

watakah666
Honored Guest

there is no solution, its software problem, we all with rift S to the grave

dr0neworld77
Honored Guest

There might be one other thing I haven't seen you mention here, and that would be to try out the Camera in windows 10. I'm pretty much where you are right now, and I've tried EVERYTHIHG. I even bought the USB hub, thinking that would solve it. But nothing works. Either I get the three-dots-of-doom, or my headset just keeps restarting itself for no reason.

Now, I did a little testing when it came to the sensors, since that is exactly my problem. So I pulled up the Device Manager, and I had a go with the USB-swapping business... And I noticed something odd. When the headset is plugged in the BLUE ports, and when the camera setting in windows is ON, the headset tends to reboot itself 3 times, and then just stops working.

When I try the BLACK ports, the headset is always on, and never reboots, but the three dots remain, and the sensors cannot be detected in the setup of the device in oculus software. So I tried to remove the sensors, and all traces of the headset from the device manager, and tried to then reboot and see if that made a difference.

It did not. I also tried to see if my firewall was somehow blocking the headset's cameras, and that too was not the issue. So from what I can gather here is that latest windows 10 update broke something. When you turn off the Camera in windows 10, the headset works on its own, and does not reboot or behave oddly. But the three dots remain, and the sensors do not work.

One other mention is that when you plug the headset into the BLUE USB-port, you get a notification in the left corner in windows 10, CAMERA OFF/ON. It does this a few times, until the headset completely shuts down, and the blinking orange light is shown on the headset.

Maybe there is an error with windows, and not actually the headset? It worked fine until the latest windows 10 update, then all of the sudden, it behaved oddly. I do suspect there is something not right with windows 10 camera settings, and the sensor keeps rebooting or simply shuts down. It detects everything fine in device mangager, but as soon as the headset is plugged into the BLUE port, and you open up the device manager, it just keeps booting off and on, off and on...

I can hear the sound while the three dots are displayed.

Hey there, @dr0neworld77! That's a mighty long list there, let us help you out! We would like to suggest reaching out to our support team with your logs so that they can look further into this for you!

Here are the steps on how to:

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
* The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed the Oculus PC app to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop-down list.
5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

Once you've gathered your logs, reach out to our support team by clicking here. Please provide them with all of the troubleshooting steps you've tried as well!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

watakah666
Honored Guest

that is simply protocol rubbish, Facebook/meta knows that its software is poorly done, I spent 2 weeks sending logs so that they would tell me that they did not know what it was

dr0neworld77
Honored Guest

I'm beginning to believe this is actually a Display Port issue. Plugging the USB in on its own works just fine, and the headset does not shut down or do anything odd. But as soon as the Display Port is connected, it lights up the blue light in the front, as if it's working, and a few seconds later, it just shuts down, only to be rebooted again. It does this three times. Then it just hangs and blinks with a orange light.

Also, when I look in Device Manager, I can't detect any changes when I plug in the Display Port. It works fine with USB, but as soon as I plug in the Display Port, nothing happens, and there is no update in the Device Manager. Did perhaps the firmware/software update do something to mess with the drivers?

I should see a change in Device Manager when I plug in the Display Port, right? I only see one, and that is my monitor that is plugged into HDMI. So the question is WHY does the headset suddenly decide to reboot itself, several times, when it works just fine with just the USB plugged in, and then when the Display Port is plugged in, it decides to act all wonky?

Hey there! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your sensors should be tracking the headset, and we know this can seem alarming for gameplay! We would love to help out. 

Due to the issue we like to invite you to private message us. Please select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Please remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.