cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skew on roll @ 1680x1050

ChrisJD
Honored Guest
If I run anything on the Rift at 1680x1050 I get skewing of the view when rolling the Rift. The output to the Rift is not skewed. If I take screen shots while what I'm seeing through the Rift is skewed and then look at them on the monitor afterwards the screen shots don't have any skewing. Also, outputting at the same resolution to my monitor instead of the Rift then rolling the Rift produces no skewing on the monitor.

1920x1200, 1920x1080 and 1280x800 don't produce these problems but a few of the more obscure resolutions in between 1280x800 and 1920x1200 do.

Edit: The resolution notification that displays on the Rift when starting something running at 1680x1050 says the display is running at 1920x1080, so the display is running in a 16:9 mode when it should be in 16:10 which is why things are getting skewed. Any solution to this? Down sampled 1680x1050 is a nice in-between resolution that makes text much more readable without going up to 1920x1200. (The current limitations of msaa on render targets in Unity mean that approach isn't really a viable option)
13 REPLIES 13

DrMcCleod
Honored Guest
This happens on lower resolutions too, and seems to be inherent in the way the SDK sets up the rendering context. The two solutions that I have found are:

1) Always Render at 1280x800.

2) Write you own renderer, following the guidance in the SDK documentation.

StellaArtois
Protege
Is this an issue with the SDK? Surely this sounds more like an issue with the display controller or down sampler on the rift; it gets a feed at 1680x1050, but outputs at 1920x1080? Or is it just incorrectly reporting it?

It could be corrected for within the SDK stereo setup of course.

ChrisJD
Honored Guest
I don't think it's an SDK issue. It seems to be the controller mishandling the aspect ratio of some resolutions which would, I think, be an issue with the LCD controller. It can be compensated for in software, and if the consumer Rift has the same issues it will absolutely need to be. However I expect a better solution will exist (or the problem won't exist) in the consumer release.

The problem for me was I just didn't notice it for a month. People could very well be making themselves more ill than they need to be without realising.

It's a subtle problem in normal usage as you don't generally roll your head side to side enough for it to become obvious enough to be noticeable. I have been running most of the Unity demos I've tried in 1680x1050 because it's generally been the sweet spot on my computer for maintaining 60fps and improving the visual quality (due to the lack of render target AA that has existed in the unity based demos so far).

I've also had a lot of VR sickness issues limiting what I can do and I think the subtle skewing has been a large part of it because since I noticed and switch to only using resolutions that I have checked work properly (1920x1200, 1920x1080 and 1280x800) the sickness has already reduced markedly in the last few days (vs the fairly constant levels for the previous month).

Maybe there should be a list of safe resolutions for the devkit somewhere (as opposed to what the device reports it can display, but doesn't always maintain aspect ratios for) so that others don't do the same thing.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can solve this by doing the scaling on the GPU and not the display.

With Nvidia cards this is under "Adjust desktop size and position", select "Rift DK1" then under "Scaling" choose "Aspect Ratio, then "Perform scaling on" -> "GPU". AMD should have similar options.

This will fix the aspect ratio skewing issue. Otherwise you need to feed in a 1920x1200 or 1280x800 image.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ChrisJD
Honored Guest
Thanks cybereality, that does indeed work. I didn't know that was an option in my drivers, guess that's my "learned something new" for the day.

StellaArtois
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
You can solve this by doing the scaling on the GPU and not the display.

With Nvidia cards this is under "Adjust desktop size and position", select "Rift DK1" then under "Scaling" choose "Aspect Ratio, then "Perform scaling on" -> "GPU". AMD should have similar options.

This will fix the aspect ratio skewing issue. Otherwise you need to feed in a 1920x1200 or 1280x800 image.

Excellent, useful to know. Thank you!

TWhite
Explorer
"ChrisJD" wrote:
Thanks cybereality, that does indeed work. I didn't know that was an option in my drivers, guess that's my "learned something new" for the day.

Just another reason to love Nvidia. This feature didn't work at all when I had AMD a year ago. So glad to be back on Nvidia and have it work properly as it should. Lovely feature, that.
CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780

Insomnium
Honored Guest
I'm having the same problem with AMD RX480.

The problem is that the amd drivers don't seem to see rift as a display. It only shows my primary monitor which is 1600p. I can find the scaling option for my monitor, but no rift there.

Anyone know a solution?

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Insomnium said:

I'm having the same problem with AMD RX480.

The problem is that the amd drivers don't seem to see rift as a display. It only shows my primary monitor which is 1600p. I can find the scaling option for my monitor, but no rift there.

Anyone know a solution?

You're trying to do...What?  Are you talking about a CV1 or one of the dev kits?  No GPU drivers see the rift as a display, AFAIK.  You don't explicitly set the resolution of the Rift anywhere. The Oculus software handles supersampling, resolution, etc.   You've replied to a 5 year old thread discussing obsolete hardware in an ancient app version, so...

What is your problem and with what hardware?
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?