cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slight barrel distortion on right lens when using Oculus Link

FrediAbarzua
Explorer

Hey everyone, seems that today we got a drivers update for the Quest 2 app and had to reconfigure my Oculus Link settings, finally I went for 80hz and 2784x1408 and the image quality is acceptable, but the trade off is that I get a little barrel like distortion only present on the right end of the right lens. I've been messing with ODT and the different settings but it still persists, is there any option I should look at?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there! We know PCVR can be very fun when immersed, so we'd love to lend a hand!

In order to get a bit more insight, could you please answer the below:

1. When was this first noticed?
  2. What all have you tried already?
  3. Is this Oculus link via cable or Air Link?
    • Does one work better then the other?
  4. Does your PC meet the Link requirements?
    • Are your GPU drivers up to date?
    • Is Windows up to date?

Along with this, could you try a clean install of Oculus Home:

1. Disconnect the Rift/Link cable from the computer
  2. Disconnect your computer from the internet
  3. Backup any necessary content
    1. You can find steps on how to do so by clicking here.
  4. Reboot into Safe Mode
  5. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel
  6. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
    1. C:\Program Files
  7. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
    1. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    2. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    3. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    4. C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    5. C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
  8. Restart your computer in normal mode
  9. Reconnect your computer to the internet
  10. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here
  11. Reconnect the Rift/Link cable and re-test the headset

Let us know how this seems to work! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey again @FrediAbarzua! Just checking in to see if you were still needing some assistance. 

If so, please don't hesitate to reach back out anytime and we can get right to it! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

1. I'm not quite sure, there's a chance this was always present, but it got much more noticeable now that I had to reconfigure everything.
2. I tried playing around with the Oculus refresh rate and the resolution settings, and also with ODT related configurations.
3. Tried both again, and interestingly this only happens via Air Link, this distortion is not present when using the cable, which I prefer to not use because is too uncomfortable to me.
4. Yes to the three.

Thank you so much for providing that update! 

As this issue does only happen with Air Link, we do have a couple of things you can test:

1. Ensure the best practices are met:
    • Have your PC connected to Router/Access Point via Ethernet cable
    • Headset should be connected to Wi-Fi via 5GHz band (AC or AX)
    • Router in the same room as the headset or in line-of-sight, and at least 1m off the ground
    • Air Link works best with non-mesh network configuration (No extenders) 
  2. Check your performance settings:
    1. Open the Oculus PC app on your computer.
    2. Click Devices on the left side of the app.
    3. Click Quest and Touch.
    4. Click Graphics Preferences.
    5. Click Reset to default.
    6. Click Save and Restart

Let us know how that seems to go!

FrediAbarzua
Explorer

Hey, thanks for the reply!
I believe I meet all these best practices you mention, but with the performance settings the issue is that the distortion is gone, but everything is way too blurry with the default configs (I forgot to mention this before). 

Thank you for this update! 

We do have some other questions as well:

1. Could you provide your PC specs? 
    • Ram, OS, GPU type & version, CPU type
  2. Have you tried a different network by chance?

Also, could you test out these as well:

1. Opt in/out of the PTC (Public Test Channel):
    1. Open the Oculus PC app on your computer.
    2. Select Settings in the left menu.
    3. Select the Beta tab.
    4. Next to Public Test Channel, click to enroll.
    5. Manually reboot the headset
  2. Check to see if there's many devices connected to the internet.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you're still experiencing problems with your lens after following the previous instructions.

Hey! 
1. Ram: 16gb 2666
GPU: RX 580 8gb (dedicated card)
CPU: i5 9400f

2. I don't have a different network with enough capabilities to test the headset connection unfortunately.

I tried the PTC suggestion and doesn't seem to change anything to be honest. Also I tried resetting my graphical settings from the Oculus program but it doesn't seem to do any change now for some reason.

Thanks.

Hi there! We appreciate you letting us know the experience you had with the steps we provided above! We do see this is still an issue which is why we want to invite you to our Meta Store Support.

We want to make sure you can return to your fantastic VR environment. Please go ahead and arrange a call or start a live chat with one of our wonderful representatives to get connected! Also, make sure to present them your logs so they can get a further look into this for you. You can do the following by clicking here!