cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth as silk for 1st 40 hours, now getting tracking loss - Too many lost IMU's,(this is my story)

KinkyJalepeno
Explorer
Error seen is "Too many lost IMU's - expected <=2 actual 280 (last figure differs)

Ok 1st my system spec is in my sig
Its a beast so no performance issues expected.

Whole setup ran like a dream for 1st 40 ish hours.  Yesterday I decided to fly around the galaxy in my trusty Type-6 in Elite Dangerous as I oft do and boom, image stops tracking on occasion, colours bleach out (sign of tracking loss) for no apparent reason.  Nothing had been changed on my PC with regards to drivers so I was a little confused, why work like a dream for 40 hours and then start playing up?!

Ok so I have done some reading and it has been suggested I need to re-calibrate the headsets IM (gyro/intertia monitor) with the tool from Oculus.  I've grabbed the tool so when I'm back home on Friday eve i'll give it a whirl (yeah only home at weekends).

Looking at this from other angles I'm going to try a few other things as well I will detail below ( I will say however, these are for my peace of mind as the fact still remains that everything worked perfectly for 2 weeks solid (around 40 hours use).

1. Some of my tracking losses have coincided with loss of internet connection.  Interestingly my router doesn't show a disconnect.
Well I am using power-line adapters to get LAN from the router over to the PC.  This I'm thinking is the cause of at least some of my issues.

Elite Dangerous has to be played online, and by that I mean you need a live connection to the Frontier servers regardless of what mode you play in.
Question: Ok if the powerline adapters start dropping packets this means Elite is going to lag, while it lags its going to be trying desperately not to disconnect and may lose the ability to track the view to match the head position.  To elaborate, when I move my head the sensors are going to pick that up and the Oculus software is going to hand that positional info over to the game in order for it to move the view accordingly.  If its having a hard time staying connected to the matchmaking server (as its called in ED) then the game is likely not going to be in a position to move the view around as per the tracking data.  I don't know but this could manifest itself as the headset reporting poor tracking with lost IMU's?!  An interesting point is that tracking is perfect in OR home and Steam VR but these don't rely on a stable network connection.
Answer: Well this week while I'm away at work I'll make a 12m LAN cable to run around the edge of the room to see if it makes any difference.

2. I have 3 sensors in total as I have the spare space to utilise them although my favorite game (ED) is seated.  So including the headset I'm using 3x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0 ports on my Mobo.  Along side these I have a USB webcam, wireless keyboard and Razer Naga mouse.  
Question: As this is a fair amount of resources taken up, could I be maxing something out on the mobo and hitting some kind of bandwidth limit?  My mobo is an Asus Maximus IX Hero so it's a good board and shouldn't be hitting any ceiling, but I really don't know.
Answer: I read about the merits of fitting a PCI-E USB card to spread the load out across the system so have just ordered the recommended card from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Who knows, this may also help.

I'm basically writing this as a diary of my issue and the results of my actions in case this rings true for anyone else.
The nagging truth that everything was great for two weeks is preying on my mind making me doubt the actions I've started, but I have to say none will hurt and are good idea's regardless.

As I stated i'll be home on Friday night armed with the oculus callibration tool (written piece and download link here https://www.vrheads.com/how-fix-oculus-rift-calibrations-problems), a long LAN cable and my USB card.

First step: Get the LAN cable in.
Second step: After testing in game, calibrate the IM if required
Third Step: After testing, put in the USB card

I will report on each test as I do them, but regardless of the results the USB card will be installed, as I think its just a good idea in general.  If none of this works then I'll have to log an official support call and upload my Rift logs.  I don't think for a second I have a broken Rift after this little time.  It's well looked after as it's my favorite man toy so to speak.

if anyone out there has had similar issue's then please tell your story and what your fix was please.

Thanks
Home built VR rig
NZXT H440 Black Mid-Tower
Intel i7-7700 Kaby Lake
Asus Maximus IX Hero mobo
NVidia 1080ti
32 Gb Corsair 3200Mhz DDR4
Corsair H80i liquid cooling
0 REPLIES 0
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?