cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far the worst $500 I've ever spent.

Eibon76
Explorer
MSI laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, GTX 1050Ti graphics, 16GB memory

Downloaded the software and started to install.  Was told that even though the HDMI cable was connected, to use a different port for best results.   My laptop has 1 HDMI port, no more.

Continued to install.  XBox controller would not sync no matter how many times I tried, put in new batteries, etc.  Hopeless.  Finally decided to skip the damn controller and continue.

Finished installing and connecting everything.  And guess what?  Audio, but no video at all in the glasses.

Sending this back tomorrow.   Can't understand why they sell a "consumer" version if it doesn't work so frequently.  For $500 I expect a hassle-free fun experience, not the headache I have now.

104 REPLIES 104

Eibon76
Explorer
Well, guess I was wrong.

NewEgg won't give me a refund.  So now I've wasted $500 on something that is useless to me.

What a great deal.  Good old Facebook *uckerberg strikes again.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Eibon76 said:

Bought this and am trying it now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRK2ZIK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also followed @AQfumes advice.

Nothing.  No video in the headset, the programs (Google Earth VR, bigscreen) either crash or don't even start.

This junk is going back. 

And yes, I know it's all my fault because I bought a laptop that meets the minimum specs and the Oculus compatibility tool said the computer would work.

The problem may be the adapter you bought. Looking at that link, I see: Supports video resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 and 1080p (Full HD).

That adapter doesn't support the Rift's resolution. You should get one that says 4K compatible.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Eibon76
Explorer
Well gee, it would have been nice to have the link that support sent me tell me that, instead of this:

https://support.oculus.com/1698566150460308

I don't see anything 4K-related there.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
On the Amazon page for the one you bought, there's a link for similar items, and the same company makes a 4K-ready one for $3 more.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

vlodato
Adventurer
Even with the proper Xbox driver I find it nesasary to restart the computer and the wireless adapter INSTANTLY works. The problem is New Xbox one controllers use Bt so it's like Microsoft forgot they even made the original xbone controller. 

rubiandeleonis
Honored Guest
OCULUS is one of the biggest pieces of crap I have had to endure in my life

The software is appalling. It took me three attempts to get basic app installed (my broadband is not that great) because of the stupid way is made, no offline install and no resume download feature

Then I have had to reinstall it twice cos it failed to install items that I had as Not Installed on the Library...

Bloody amazing,..what a piece of crap 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If your home has tiny doors and you buy a large couch...  😘

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Pebkac is a bitch :neutral:

Eibon76 said:

MSI laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, GTX 1050Ti graphics, 16GB memory

Downloaded the software and started to install.  Was told that even though the HDMI cable was connected, to use a different port for best results.   My laptop has 1 HDMI port, no more.

Continued to install.  XBox controller would not sync no matter how many times I tried, put in new batteries, etc.  Hopeless.  Finally decided to skip the damn controller and continue.

Finished installing and connecting everything.  And guess what?  Audio, but no video at all in the glasses.

Sending this back tomorrow.   Can't understand why they sell a "consumer" version if it doesn't work so frequently.  For $500 I expect a hassle-free fun experience, not the headache I have now.

For $500 you would have one of the greatest PC peripherals ever created.

You then bought a rubbish PC that isn't even classed as a PC in some circles, it's known as a laptop.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

pyroth309
Visionary

Eibon76 said:

Well, guess I was wrong.

NewEgg won't give me a refund.  So now I've wasted $500 on something that is useless to me.

What a great deal.  Good old Facebook *uckerberg strikes again.

More like good old Newegg strikes again. That right there is why I quit using them 10 years ago. Their support is pretty scummy. Send them a motherboard back and they always accuse you of bending the pins..despite having photo evidence they were packed intact lol. It was simply that they didn't want to come off any money to send another. 

As far as this thread, I agree the Oculus compatability software shouldn't have told you your laptop was fine. I'm guessing it only examined the main specs. 

I never had any problems with my Oculus after months of heavy use and setup was a breeze. I have Several 12+ hour gaming sessions in there and it still works as great as the day I got it. It's worth pushing through this hassle to get it working imo.