Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stormland pulled from sale

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Screenshot_20220106-084809.png

hi.

I posted this in games and apps but perhaps it is a support question. Has Stormland been pulled from sale permenantly or is it temporary? it is not coming up In a store search and using a direct link states unavailable.

I hope this is not something to do with Sony buying up the devs and a licence running out. if so a heads up before pulling would have been useful 

thanks.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
34 REPLIES 34

Just beware with the Quest 2 streaming - we just tested Quest 2 and Index in OpenVR Benchmark, and using same res and 90 Hz the Index was a massive 30% faster (same rig tested, so same cpu, gpu etc - see the Index thread for details). 

Maybe some think that 30% is a small price to pay for streaming - but it's an utterly giant price to pay. It means using the Quest 2, you may need a RTX 2080 to get similar performance as non-streaming GTX 1080 VR users. Or Quest 2 + RTX 3090 users may get similar performance as non-streaming 3070 Ti users - and over here the cheapest in-stock RTX 3090 costs $1,500 more than a RTX 3070 Ti - so cheap headsets using streaming may have giant hidden costs 😉 Even a small 10% streaming performance impact would be totally unacceptable with the extreme gpu prices we're experiencing today. A RTX 3090 is only 15-20% faster than a RTX 3080, so 30% streaming impact is severe or worse. You can find several posts on Reddit describing profound performance reductions when going from Rift-S to Quest 2. In short, if you have a Rift-S in the closet, maybe a great idea to use it for Stormland, because Stormland will take all the performance it can get and maybe still ask for more 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

is that just streaming or over the usb cable as well.   if it's just streaming it is no Biggie, just a nice optional extra for games which don't push your rig ..and then the more computationally expensive games you play wired over usb.   but if it is all pcvr on the quest then that is a bigger issue.

it would be amusing if my reverb G2 ran stormland better than the oculus quest 

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

I have not seen that there's any great performance difference of using cable or airlink for Quest 2, so the streaming impact should be there no matter your connection. Streaming is a demanding proces requiring both gpu and cpu power - but I was surprised to see a massive 30% performance reduction in the OpenVR benchmark. 

Cable should provide fewer artifacts and less stuttering though. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I just spent the afternoon doing my own comparative benchmarks between Quest 2 and Rift CV1. My results showed a performance overhead of 2% to 7% for the Quest 2 on my PC, with less difference at higher resolution. AirLink versus tethered Link made little difference. I've posted a thread with my test results.

Edit: Regarding the 30% performance difference that Rune mentions--what we found was that Index does seem to perform better than non-SteamVR headsets through SteamVR (or at least, through the particular SteamVR benchmarking tool that was being used for the tests). Quest 2 performed comparably with other non-SteamVR headsets like Rift CV1 and Reverb G2, without exhibiting significant performance loss due to the streaming process.

The problem seems to be due to running through the SteamVR wrapper rather than through native Oculus drivers, but this wouldn't be a concern with Stormland, since it's an Oculus store game with native Oculus support.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

AlasPoorJoric
Expert Protege

Has Stormland been pulled permanently after all, or is it just glitching again?

Not sure - it just says Purchased when I check the page - is it not available here?

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1360938750683878/

kojack
MVP
MVP

It just has Add To Wishlist for me.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

nalex66
MVP
MVP

When I try on the iOS app, it just shows “Launch” but no option to purchase for a friend.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cliffordxplorer
Protege

How much is this game supposed to cost?

I can't find it for sale either it would be nice if META could give us a response.🤔

Seems gone again for the past few weeks. This problem should be marked unresolved and reopened I think.