cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly unable to install / update apps

LineThemUp
Honored Guest
I'm having an issue with being unable to install new apps or update installed apps in the Oculus app.

I am in the UK with a SM-910F (International / Qualcomm), on firmware ANK4. I purchased Gear VR from US. Initially all went well, I copied the files from the SD card onto my existing SD card, set up an account and installed quite a few extra apps.

All was working fine until last week when suddenly I cannot install any new apps, such as Milk VR, or update apps such as Oculus Cinema. The install / update buttons are there but when selected the app downloads fully and then the install button reappears. If I re-select Install it re-downloads and fails again, with no error message.

When trying to install from within the Gear VR, the download completes and then I get an error message:

"Install failed.

Something went wrong when installing [e.g. VR Gallery]

Please try again later"

The install button then re-appears.

I tried rebooting, logging out and back in of home app, connecting using 2 different WIFI networks and 4G.

I then tried clearing data for Oculus, Oculus Home, Gear VR Service, Gear VR SetupWizard.

I then uninstalled these apps and plugged back into the Gear VR to trigger installation, they all installed fine, I logged in to Oculus account and same problem.

I have contacted Oculus support and they won't provide support as I'n not on a supported carrier in the US.

Anybody got any ideas on how to proceed?
26 REPLIES 26

HomerS66
Expert Protege
I hope that doesn't mean that they will region lock the store. So far i don't have any problems installing and updating but fingers crossed. And hopefully you'll find a solution too.

If nothing else helps maybe do a format/reset phone and then use the Samsung SD card to see if that jump starts it again.

LineThemUp
Honored Guest
"HomerS66" wrote:
I hope that doesn't mean that they will region lock the store. So far i don't have any problems installing and updating but fingers crossed. And hopefully you'll find a solution too.

If nothing else helps maybe do a format/reset phone and then use the Samsung SD card to see if that jump starts it again.

I also hope for no region locks but it does seem to be an issue with app verification after download. You'd hope that this would be communicated by Oculus in good time, particularly given the imminent widespread release. I'd also hoped that they'd try and resolve the issue with me, not least in case it's widespread on official release.

Reset is an idea, I'll give that a go if nothing else works, although it takes a long time to set everything back up.

roguex
Explorer
I think I might be having the same issues. Milk vr also seems to be missing from the store. I really hope there's no region lock
Can we get a response from oculus on this?

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"roguex" wrote:
I think I might be having the same issues. Milk vr also seems to be missing from the store. I really hope there's no region lock

The Samsung Android apps Milk Video and Milk Music are US exclusive, maybe Milk VR will be similar because of licensing issues. I hope not but that might be the only app with regional licensing problems on Gear VR.

R3ality66
Explorer
I also have a UK Note 4 running ANK4 from Tesco Mobile, also with an imported US Gear VR.

So far I haven't had an issue with installing apps, including Milk VR, though I haven't installed every app.

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
"roguex" wrote:

Hi there! Are you in the US? Milk VR is currently unavailable outside of the US.
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!

PsiOntic
Explorer
Same issue here with Milk VR and Darknet updates failing, I am in the US and on Verizon.

dkendall93
Honored Guest
Also from us with verizon. Had multiple apps and games having updates and failing only to have the update button again. I uninstalled then reinstalled, which seemed to work. The only app I'm having problems with now is milk vr which is totally missing from the store and library, but works if you run it from your phone first.

BruceLi
Honored Guest
My MilkVR stopped working today also. Everything else seems to work fine . I also was able to make it work if started in the phone app first. Items in VoltVR folder doesn't show either.