cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible performance for Unity 5.3.4 + Oculus Runtime 1.3

LITM
Sightseer
[Reposting from another thread]

Can anyone at Oculus explain to me why I'm getting literally double the performance on my iMac (Bootcamp Win10) on runtime 0.8 and Unity 5.3.4, than my brand new kick ass Win 10 with GTX 980 on runtime 1.3 and Unity 5.3.4.  To my knowledge, I've installed all possible updates to Unity (including patch releases), Oculus Runtime 1.3.1 and latest NVidia drivers.  

There's a hell of a lot of time spent waiting for the GPU.  

For those of us delivering to clients this is not good news! I'm having to continue to work on my iMac (ie unsupported hardware) till the drivers start working properly.
glgsv22u4h5t.png

3 REPLIES 3

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Are you sure "OculusWaitForGPU" is taking up processing time? It could just be sitting there waiting for the next render cycle, allowing your app to continue doing things. I know there's another common Unity activity seen in the profiler which works that way if you are running a much-more-powerful system than needed for your app.

DragonGeo2
Explorer
In your NVidia Control Panel, make sure that your settings say that your Power Management mode is set to "Highest available".

Also the 30ms number looks suspiciously like something is capping your framerate at 30FPS.

LITM
Sightseer

Are you sure "OculusWaitForGPU" is taking up processing time? It could just be sitting there waiting for the next render cycle, allowing your app to continue doing things. I know there's another common Unity activity seen in the profiler which works that way if you are running a much-more-powerful system than needed for your app.

Thanks for the replies.

I did't actually say it's taking up "Processing Time".  I just said that it's spending a hell of a lot of time waiting for the GPU - which I meant to imply that there's some frame sync locking going on here.  So yes DragonGeo, that my frame rate is being capped is not even suspicious....that's what's happening. 

Anyhow, I've just discovered something.  If I select "Maximise on play" before running, so it kind of runs full screen (not quite), then I get 75-77hz.  I'm not even sure if the DK2 is supposed to go higher than 75Hz, so perhaps I've stumbled upon a workaround.  Not ideal for debugging but better than nothing.