cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Fresco Logic FL1100EX USB 3.0 Chipset is not available in PCIe cards in my region

JonnyGlitch
Explorer
Hello! Total noob here. I apologise if this question has been posted and answered I couldn't find it.

I need a compatible USB 3.0 PCIe card. The Fresco Logic FL1100EX is impossible for me to source locally, and problematic for me to order due to border lockdowns. I need a list of compatible chipsets. I've been told ASMedia works but I'd like confirmation from other users. I'm looking at the ASM1142 in the Startech PEXUSB314A2V

I know NEC and Eltron doesn't work (at least the chipsets I have don't)

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @JonnyGlitch welcome to the forum, sounds like you're doing some good research.

I'm currently using an ASRock Taichi MB which has the ASM1142 controller on it, and no problems at all.
I also have the Inatek KTU3FR-4P which has the FL1100-1Q-EX, all good.

Prior to that I was using the Asus X99 Deluxe which had 2 x ASM1074 and 1 x 1042AE (I think) and I was using that with the CV1, all USB ports worked ok but that board got upgraded and the CV1 was packed away when the Rift-S started to be used. That board also came with a 2 port 3.1 card but I don't know what chip that used.... Asus were big on USB ports!

I seem to remember Fresco drivers caused problems and we needed to make sure Microsoft drivers replaced them, not sure if that's still the case.

JonnyGlitch
Explorer
Thank you DaftnDirect! That just what I needed to hear. I kinda understand now why official support can be hesitant to hand out a "confirmed compatibility" considering vendors can swap out chip-sets so often to save money.

I won't have access to a FL one so I won't be able to answer that driver question, all I know is I found similar threads, all were oldish.

Yep, USB chipsets and their drivers are a big deal I think.

The headset is basically twin monitors with 6dof tracking, USB headphones, microphone and two 6dof tracked controllers, all going through a single graphics card connection and a single USB connection.

On top of that the connections are on the end of a cable that often goes through some rigorous contortions, getting twisted, pulled and stamped on!

And on top of that, there's a host of Windows setting such as power saving, that have the potential to affect USB connections.

I understand when people get super annoyed about connection issues but sometimes I think they forget it isn't a USB keyboard 🙂

JonnyGlitch
Explorer
Eureka! The ASM1142 chip-set in the Startech PEXUSB314A2V works wonderfully! (Install the vendor drivers, the Microsoft ones don't work) Finally got it yesterday and it's flawless.

I can also confirm that my Gen2 i7-2600 can handle Half Life:ALYX no problems at all. I must be the only person insane enough to try and get this thing working on an 8 year old CPU

Good to hear. Interesting about the Microsoft drivers not working, checked mine and the Microsoft v10.0.18362.900 are the ones I have installed and working with that chip.

I'll make a mental note though and advise people to try either driver if they have a problem. I would hate to think the CPU makes a difference to the USB driver compatibility but you never know! more likely something Startech are doing with their card. I was thinking my 5820K was getting old but now I don't feel so bad 🙂

A also had the 2600K before and it had a long life and just assumed I had to upgrade when CV1 was announced, just shows how GPU dependent VR is.

Geezik
Protege

Just wanted to leave a trace here:
Fresco Logic FL1100 based controller - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJR7HFQ4
Power works, but quest 3 does not get detected at all. Any other device works.