cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Controller drifts

Aculeus_
Explorer
I'm having issues with tracking, especially with my touch controller on the right side.  If I'm playing a game and aim to 2 to 5 o'clock my hand can appear to drift around.  Usually it's just at 5 o'clock, but today it bugged out at 2 o'clock.  It made playing Arizona Sunshine very difficult.  I put my sensors up on the ceiling in the corners of the room.  Unfortunately, this means the right front sensor needed an USB extension.  I've tired both a 15ft active and 10ft passive 3.0 extension cable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's horrible.  It even feels like the controllers track better when I'm facing the 3rd back wall sensor.  I tried lowering the sensor, thinking it's just not seeing the LED ring that goes along the bottom of the controller.  That turned into a nightmare.  I got the 8906 warning over and over.  I even got the warning on two sensors sometimes, including sensor #1 that has no extension cable. It took hours of me messing around with my USB devices to find a combination that didn't give me a warning.  I even plugged them into a powered USB HUB.  

I've reconfigured the sensor tracking a lot and sometimes I have a lot of trouble with the part where you hold the controller at eye level so all sensors can see it and hold the trigger.   At least twice I've seen sensors disappear on the coverage map when drawing my boundary.  

I've gotten a few HMD tracking issues.  Also usually towards the right/back of the room.  

I'm guessing the front right sensor is dropping out.

I've got an Asus Maximus Formula VIII motherboard. 

Any ideas?  I've ordered an I
nateck PCI-E card.  It's got a SATA power connection.  Maybe that will help.  
Towards the end of the log I had Oculus Home running, but the HDM was out of view so you'll probably see a lot of Wireless Sync errors for the HMD.  

3 REPLIES 3

EliteSPA
Superstar
Dont buy the Innateck card, Im having a lot of issues with the drivers...if you get it dont install the frescologic drivers, just keep the drivers from windows.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Aculeus_
Explorer
Thanks for the tip.  Have you plugged your sensors into that card?  Have you had any tracking issues?  I was browsing around on reddit and even saw people complaining on there about issues tracking their right touch controller.  It always seems to be the right side.  I did try without any USB extensions and still had issues.  I don't think my active extension cable is causing the problem.  Since I see a lot of people with the similar issues, maybe it's a software bug.   They did seem concerned with bandwidth issues, hence the recommendation to use USB 2.0 for the 3rd sensor.  Maybe the software tries to be smart and minimize bandwidth, but it ends up causing problems.   

I've got some friends who want to come over and try VR and decide if they want to buy their own headsets.  I've got family coming over for Xmas.  If they witness it behaving like this, they will not be buying and Oculus Rift.  I imagine the same goes for other early adopters.  The first thing we want to do is show our friends so they'll jump on board.  

Aculeus_
Explorer
I installed the Inateck USB card.  I plugged the front sensors into the card.  Same issues.  I plugged the 3rd sensor in.  Same issue.  When I hold my hands slightly behind me (8 o'clock or 4 0'clock, they tend to jitter and drift around 6 inches. I'll hold my hand still and it will move slightly on it's own.  At one point my hand turned back into the Oculus Controller image, as if it had timed out.  I only held it in place for a few seconds.  As I'm moving my hands around sometimes they'll look like they're skipping a frame.  It seems like it skips at the points where the other sensors may come into view.  I only played for about 5 minutes.  The issue was apparent right away.  So $280 for the touch and sensors.  Another $30 for the USB card.  A few bucks on different USB extension cables, not including the ones I had to buy because of the ridiculously short HMD cables.  I hope this is gets fixed or they explain to me that there is an issue with my setup and give me tips on how to fix it.  

I did think the Christmas themed home screen with the peppermint furniture and gingerbread men was cute.  Money and resources well spent.  

Here are my logs if anybody at Oculus wants them.  I played Arizona Sunshine for a minute, but was mostly in the Home screen.  The logs should be fairly narrowed down to my playtime because I didn't play anything else in the last 24 hours.  
Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?