cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch controller drifting in-game? This will fix

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Well, after approx 2 years of use my left controller just started to drift to the left in the past few days. I did some searching on the web and found others have had similar problems. I found a simple fix (discovered and provided by others) for this as a result. I'll just summarize it here for anyone needing to do so.

1. Close your Oculus software

2. Open your explorer and travel to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration

3. Copy the files in this folder as backup.

4. Open the .LTouch(left) or .RTouch(right) file with notepad, which ever touch controller you have the issue with.

5. To search hit the hotkey: Ctrl+F and enter either JoyYDeadMax or JoyXDeadMax or JoyYDeadMin or JoyXDeadMin

6.  Y = Forward and backward dead zone issues

X = Left and Right dead zone issues

7. Increase or decrease the number by 50 each time until it stops (you may need to do this multiple times depending on how bad it is, restart software after each attempt)

Save + Close, restart your Oculus software. You may have to restart your computer.

Here are some examples of what to do when one of these is happening to your controller:

Eg.. JoyXDeadMin = -X value, JoyXDeadMax = +X value and so on

• If your avatar started randomly moving forward when you just slightly touching thumbstick, increase Deadzone +Y value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving backward, decrease Deadzone -Y value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving left, decrease Deadzone -X value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving right, increase Deadzone +X value.
  • If your avatar started randomly rotationg left, decrease Deadzone -X value of right controller.
  • If your avatar started randomly rotationg right, increase Deadzone +X value of right controller.

Credit goes to Desunyan and Shii2 from the web

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

41 REPLIES 41

legofreakco
Explorer
There is nothing in my "TouchCalibration" folder and I tried searching my computer for .LTouch(left) and .RTouch(right), but nothing appeared. I have a Rift S, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have the touch controllers that come with the Rift S aswell. My left controller has started to drift right recently and it's starting to drive me crazy, so I'm really trying to get it fixed. Thanks!

huffy32000
Honored Guest

There is nothing in my "TouchCalibration" folder and I tried searching my computer for .LTouch(left) and .RTouch(right), but nothing appeared. I have a Rift S, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have the touch controllers that come with the Rift S aswell. My left controller has started to drift right recently and it's starting to drive me crazy, so I'm really trying to get it fixed. Thanks!

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution? My left controller is drifting down. It's about 3 months old. 

airbornniinja
Honored Guest

"Here are some examples of what to do when one of these is happening to your controller:

Eg.. JoyXDeadMin = -X value, JoyXDeadMin = +X value and so on"

What is DeadMax value? Is it inverted? 

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
its probably a slider type value that picks from two numbers a min and max to generate the speed of the controller.

for this reason when you increase or decrease a x or y value you increase or decrease the min or max value too so the controller moves at the same speed.

kojack
MVP
MVP

There is nothing in my "TouchCalibration" folder and I tried searching my computer for .LTouch(left) and .RTouch(right), but nothing appeared. I have a Rift S, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I just checked... only my Rift CV1 controllers (two as normal and two reconfigured as VR Objects) are in there. My Rift-S controllers aren't there. I guess their calibration is stored somewhere else.

"Here are some examples of what to do when one of these is happening to your controller:

Eg.. JoyXDeadMin = -X value, JoyXDeadMin = +X value and so on"

What is DeadMax value? Is it inverted? 

That was a typo, the second JoyXDeadMin should have been JoyXDeadMax.

Looking at my values (for CV1 left touch) I have:
"JoyXRangeMin": 229,
"JoyXRangeMax": 778,
"JoyXDeadMin": 505,
"JoyXDeadMax": 520,
"JoyYRangeMin": 243,
"JoyYRangeMax": 774,
"JoyYDeadMin": 519,
"JoyYDeadMax": 524,
The RangeMin and RangeMax define the lowest and highest values along that axis (X axis is left to right, Y axis is down to up). So if you press the thumbstick all the way to the left, it would give 229. If you push it all the way to the right, it would be 778. Same for the Y: 243 is all the way down and 774 is all the way up.
The deadmin and deadmax define a dead zone region where movement isn't counted. You don't want tiny stick movements affecting the game. In the above data, the X axis has a dead zone from 505 to 520. So any values within that range all count as the stick in the centre with no movement.

The sdk gives developers access to the thumbsticks as a fractional value from -1.0 to 1.0, with 0.0 being the centre. In the above case, it scales the 229 to 778 range into -1.0 to 1.0. Any number within the dead zone becomes 0.0.

If your thumbstick is causing you to move when it shouldn't, it's because it's centred value is outside of the current dead zone. You'll need to move one side of the dead zone to cover it.
lwxtbe8k8lzy.png
If your thumbstick was reading as 500 when you let go of it, then it's just outside of the dead zone and the game would think you wanted to move left. You would therefore decrease the JoyXDeadMin from 505 to something like 495 or lower (a little more than needed for safety, the values will vary slightly).

Now these top numbers may seem strange. For example half way between 229 and 778 is 503. That's not even in the dead zone! Well, the numbers aren't necessarily linear. They are reading from hardware that can have some odd properties. The SDK tries to hide that from developers. End users should (ideally) never see these internal values.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OzzzzyMan
Explorer
It started on my right touch controller this week, I keep turning right
When I adjust the Deadzone +X (quite a bit actually --> above 600) , I can make it stop turning right by it self, however, I can hardly turn left at that point, it's really slowed down.
Do I need to adjust another value to balance it out again ?

Thanks!

roocell
Protege
totally worked for me - thanks!

left controller sticking to left. couldn't play stormlands because of this.
old setting was 
"JoyXDeadMin": 519
changed to 
"JoyXDeadMin": 475

fixed!

Danakin65
Honored Guest
For those of us who do NOT have any files in the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration directory, can someone please post examples of what filename(s) need to be in place and examples of their contents?  I have down/back drifting on the left controller so I believe my -Y deadzone amount needs to be decreased.  But without any files or existing values to go by, it's difficult to know where to start (it seems everyone on this thread is assuming we have the files in question). 
Thanks!  :smile:

Sodley
Explorer

Well, after approx 2 years of use my left controller just started to drift to the left in the past few days. I did some searching on the web and found others have had similar problems. I found a simple fix (discovered and provided by others) for this as a result. I'll just summarize it here for anyone needing to do so.

1. Close your Oculus software

2. Open your explorer and travel to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration

3. Copy the files in this folder as backup.

4. Open the .LTouch(left) or .RTouch(right) file with notepad, which ever touch controller you have the issue with.

5. To search hit the hotkey: Ctrl+F and enter either JoyYDeadMax or JoyXDeadMax or JoyYDeadMin or JoyXDeadMin

6.  Y = Forward and backward dead zone issues

X = Left and Right dead zone issues

7. Increase or decrease the number by 50 each time until it stops (you may need to do this multiple times depending on how bad it is, restart software after each attempt)

Save + Close, restart your Oculus software. You may have to restart your computer.

Here are some examples of what to do when one of these is happening to your controller:

Eg.. JoyXDeadMin = -X value, JoyXDeadMin = +X value and so on

• If your avatar started randomly moving forward when you just slightly touching thumbstick, increase Deadzone +Y value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving backward, decrease Deadzone -Y value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving left, decrease Deadzone -X value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving right, increase Deadzone +X value.
  • If your avatar started randomly rotationg left, decrease Deadzone -X value of right controller.
  • If your avatar started randomly rotationg right, increase Deadzone +X value of right controller.

Credit goes to Desunyan and Shii2 from the web

Can you try and do a tutorial about what it looks like? I don't understand. Would be better if you show us from your computer.