cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch controller drifting in-game? This will fix

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Well, after approx 2 years of use my left controller just started to drift to the left in the past few days. I did some searching on the web and found others have had similar problems. I found a simple fix (discovered and provided by others) for this as a result. I'll just summarize it here for anyone needing to do so.

1. Close your Oculus software

2. Open your explorer and travel to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration

3. Copy the files in this folder as backup.

4. Open the .LTouch(left) or .RTouch(right) file with notepad, which ever touch controller you have the issue with.

5. To search hit the hotkey: Ctrl+F and enter either JoyYDeadMax or JoyXDeadMax or JoyYDeadMin or JoyXDeadMin

6.  Y = Forward and backward dead zone issues

X = Left and Right dead zone issues

7. Increase or decrease the number by 50 each time until it stops (you may need to do this multiple times depending on how bad it is, restart software after each attempt)

Save + Close, restart your Oculus software. You may have to restart your computer.

Here are some examples of what to do when one of these is happening to your controller:

Eg.. JoyXDeadMin = -X value, JoyXDeadMax = +X value and so on

• If your avatar started randomly moving forward when you just slightly touching thumbstick, increase Deadzone +Y value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving backward, decrease Deadzone -Y value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving left, decrease Deadzone -X value.
  • If your avatar started randomly moving right, increase Deadzone +X value.
  • If your avatar started randomly rotationg left, decrease Deadzone -X value of right controller.
  • If your avatar started randomly rotationg right, increase Deadzone +X value of right controller.

Credit goes to Desunyan and Shii2 from the web

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

41 REPLIES 41

shoefish
Honored Guest

Danakin65 said:

For those of us who do NOT have any files in the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration directory, can someone please post examples of what filename(s) need to be in place and examples of their contents?  I have down/back drifting on the left controller so I believe my -Y deadzone amount needs to be decreased.  But without any files or existing values to go by, it's difficult to know where to start (it seems everyone on this thread is assuming we have the files in question). 
Thanks!  :smile:

I'm having the exact same issue, slight drifting backwards when I touch the joystick. Also can't find where the calibration files are kept for Rift S.

MaxCook1e
Honored Guest
can someone please send the Perfekt settings because it doesn't continue to work.
Please some one help me.

PlayerOculus774
Honored Guest
For Rift S this will not help, is there another solution?

TheLittleBear
Honored Guest

shoefish said:

Danakin65 said:

For those of us who do NOT have any files in the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration directory, can someone please post examples of what filename(s) need to be in place and examples of their contents?  I have down/back drifting on the left controller so I believe my -Y deadzone amount needs to be decreased.  But without any files or existing values to go by, it's difficult to know where to start (it seems everyone on this thread is assuming we have the files in question). 
Thanks!  :smile:

I'm having the exact same issue, slight drifting backwards when I touch the joystick. Also can't find where the calibration files are kept for Rift S.

I'm also experiencing a drifting issue, and my C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration directory is empty. It seems that there are a number of us on here that can't find the appropriate files. If anyone knows of other possible names and locations for the calibration files, I would very much appreciate the help! Thank you in advance! 

Nedak77
Honored Guest
And this is why the Rift is better than the Rift S sometimes. For those who don't have the file in "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Oculus\TouchCalibration", it is because the Rift S does not have this availability. The Rift had it, and that is why the folder is there, I don't know what happened, maybe the Rift S software team just got lazy or what, but the Rift S doesn't have the feature to calibrate the touch controllers. Anyway, I don't think there will ever be an answer besides getting a new headset. Hopefully, the software teams see this thread and update this $400 product. Until then, we have to either wait or do what I said before, replace it. It might take a second because of Covid-19.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I've just released an updated version of my Oculus Monitor tool.
If anybody has the drifting thumbstick issue, it would be cool if you could download it at https://github.com/rajetic/OculusMonitor/releases/tag/v0.2.2 and tell me what the thumbstick x&y raw values are when your thumbstick is centred, plus the largest and smallest values you can get at the extremes (up, down, left, right).
Also see if the thumbstick raw values match the other values (NDZ is no dead zone). The regular value will lag behind the raw value by a fraction of a second, but should quickly match.

Note: this won't fix the problem, but I've got an idea and I need to see what the SDK returned values look like for drifting controllers.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

SecretNinja67
Honored Guest
kojack,
My right touch controller is drifting up. I am attaching pictures of your program running. Each file is named for the position of the joystick. Let me know if you want more information.

octaspace
Honored Guest
i have the same problem with my quest controller drifting to the left. it became so bad now that i cant play any game anymore. here is a screenshot from the monitor app. can this calibration files be copied in this empty TouchCalibration folder to make it work maybe?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep same problem here, i simply can not play any game that uses the left controller for movement as my player just keeps getting pulled back and i have to counter it by pushing forward on the left thumbstick this has put me of vr for now using oculus link and its a shame as i am about half way through half life alyx 😞 did anyone find a fix? there is nothing in the TouchCalibration folder and no one explaining what to do if that is the case

legofreakco
Explorer
81vk96ccvz8r.png51afglam844w.png9wdr3wdihaii.pngjpksxb04d5v6.png
Here are my results on my left controller (because it's the one drifting). All the values on mine when centered are 0
(the order of the pictures are right, down, up, left).