cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking Lost

TampaMike
Level 3

Seems the 'tracking lost' issue is very common. I have two Oculus Quest 2 systems and they both do it. I have recreated the guardian zones many, many times. The game does this NON-STOP. I can't play 15 seconds without it saying tracking lost. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TampaMike
Level 3

I have found that they are very sensitive to the lighting conditions. I have one room where the light comes from a ceiling fan (top down) and it seems to do ok. I have a larger space where the lighting comes from lamps and other lights from the side of the room, and it doesn't like this at all. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Bigstyl3
Level 2

Too dark and too bright can impact tracking. Those 14 light bulbs might be too bright for headset to track your position ,it need some contract .

The room is 1000 sq. ft. and I made sure the lighting is covering the whole room, but not too bright. Many of the lights are from one side that has a bar. I've lowered the lighting, again, to ensure it's all ambient and nothing that is glaring. 

I have 2 of these devices and they both experience the same issue. 

TampaMike
Level 3

I have found that they are very sensitive to the lighting conditions. I have one room where the light comes from a ceiling fan (top down) and it seems to do ok. I have a larger space where the lighting comes from lamps and other lights from the side of the room, and it doesn't like this at all. 

PiranhaZ06
Level 4

I just started having tracking problems starting about a month ago. Been using a Rift S in the same room with same lighting for over 2 yrs with no problems and lately about 1.5 hrs into a session it starts loosing tracking. I just recently got a Quest 2 and it’s doing the same thing. Gotta be something they changed in an update as I started having issues about Feb 5th.

note I use it exclusively for iRacing so stationary boundary while sitting and not moving around.

Pixie40
Level 11

I find it depends on time of day. During the daytime a single lamp in one corner of the room or using my Steam 1.0 trackers is enough. In the evening or at night though I either need to use my Steam 1.0 trackers as IR light source and a lamp or to have pretty much every light in my living room, dining room, and kitchen on. If it's a very cloudy day, raining, snowing, or overcast for most any other reason then I need "night time" lighting as well.

Setting up in a room with a centrally located ceiling light completely negates all lighting issues.

Battery levels also matter. When the controllers get down to 40% charge they still work, but I notice more drift and loss of tracking can happen on occasion.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

My point is that I have been using the same room at many different times of day and thought different times of year and never had a problem until now. Many times with the blinds closed on the only window in the room except at night. Again, I have a pretty controlled environment with no changes and now all of a sudden I’m having issues. So that usually mean they changed something.

Almost exactly the same as me. I race with no boundary if  i have to. Prefer a stationary boundary but no boundary I can live with. Agree with the update. the last update I reckon exasperated the issue

Jepy96
Level 2

may be your lighting make sure its evenly lit in the room your playing in. also you may want to clean your system i hear this helps if you clean any dust or dirt/ gunk from your system maybe give the cameras a wipe. Also this problem is very common and a lot of people get it so its not only your headset. Id try to keep still so your cameras can get a depth perception, also head movement can cause this issue sometimes.

I’m having the exact same problem. 6 to 8 weeks ago the headset started losing tracking every few minutes in rooms and with lighting that hadn’t changed. And while I was stationary. It’s beyond frustrating.