cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking Lost

HutchgoesboomC
Honored Guest

When I power on the headset I am met with a black screen that says tracking lost and if hand tracking doesn't work use the controllers, the controllers are constantly trying to pair when they buzz every few seconds and I cannot get it off that screen because the tracking does not work so the screen follows where I look. I cannot get to the screen to factory reset it or do anything because of the tracking.

6 REPLIES 6

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks like tracking is causing a bit of trouble here @HutchgoesboomC. We'll be sure to look into this further and have an answer for you!

Please shoot us a message through PM and we'll take a closer look at this. Select our name to get to our profile page, or click here. Next, click "Send a Message" to privately message us! Remember, you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Lukey06
Honored Guest

I am also having this problem, but I was able to factory data reset and it ended up worse. I turn it on and I am met with only a black screen. It still does the same tracking lost problem but you can't even see it.

Hiya there @Lukey06! We hate to hear that you are having issues with your headset tracking. We would be happy to help you get this issue looked into for you. We see that you have already attempted doing a factory reset. Please try the following. 

• Ensure the headset is powered on (check if the power LED is on)
    • If having trouble powering the headset back on after performing a factory reset, hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
  • If there appears to be no power, attempt to charge the headset for 2 hours.
  1. Are you being prompted any error messages?
  2. Does your device still show the Power LED light?
  3. Have you recently changed your play area?
  4. Has the tracking worked properly before?

The following points should be checked as they can interfere with tracking:

• Ensure your area is well lit, with enough light to clearly see, but not direct sunlight
    • Too much light can oversaturate the tracking cameras. Too little will keep them from seeing
  • Ensure you area is free of small lights such as Christmas lights, or LED strips
    • The tracking cameras can sometimes mistake these for the controller IR LEDs
  • Ensure your area is free of any reflective surfaces such as mirrors, glass or polished marble
    • These can interfere with tracking by reflecting the IR LEDs found in the controllers
  • Ensure the tracking cameras are clean.
  • Ensure your environment is free of any obstructions between the tracking cameras and the controllers
    • The cameras on the headset need to see the controllers in order to track them
  • Try changing the tracking frequency in the Oculus settings to see if this may help with controller tracking.

We encourage you to reach out to us on our official Meta Store Support page if you continue to have the same issue so that we can look further in to this with you. We do hope this helps! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi! I’ve been having the same problem;

Firstly, before factory resetting my Quest 2, it showed a “Tracking Lost” error with a black background and controllers not working.

Secondly, the power light is still 100% working, either white or green (charging).

And lastly, I have not changed my play area recently, but two days prior (or so), the roomscale Guardian was not working.

I’m currently met with a black screen and soothing music in the background, and I’m wondering if there’s any steps to solve this problem, or if I can use my one-year Canadian Warranty. Thanks!

Greetings, Notex1sted! We are sad to hear that your Guardian isn't working and that your Quest 2 is showing you a black screen. We have been in your position previously and know how this can interfere with your time, so please allow us to look into this more for you.

1. Have you contacted support about this problem yet?
  2. Have you attempted to hard reset your device and internet?
  3. Has your headset received the most recent update?

Greetings, Notex1sted! We just wanted to check in to see whether you still needed assistance with your Guardian and black screen. whether so, don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?