cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 ports not working with sensor

soopytwist
Protege
I've got 6 USB 3.0 ports on the back of my PC. The sensor for the headset doesn't work in any of them but anything else I plug into them works (mouse, Earforce DSS, Xbox 360 wireless dongle). Message in Setup (first time set up) says they are all incompatible USB ports. The headset is fine in one of the ports still free. Not tried the sensor for the touch controllers yet - I haven't got that far with the set up.

Motherboard is Asus P9X79, old yes but it passed Steam's VR compatibility test (even though that's for Vive). My two GTX 780's didn't (or rather one of them since VR doesn't use SLI) but that's why I'm waiting for the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 to come out.
13 REPLIES 13

soopytwist
Protege
P9X79 Deluxe. Can't edit my post.

elboffor
Consultant
Not compatible is my guess. 
You have 3 options.
1. Use usb 2.0
2. Edit the compatibility.json and it "may" work
3. Buy a compatible powered usb 3.0 pci card (such as the inatech 4 port card) - this is your best bet.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

soopytwist
Protege
Some of the hardware that powers your USB ports is incompatible with Rift. Here is the hardware that is incompatible:
  • ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
I installed the latest drivers from Asus and also a VR specific update. Not for Rift it seems though as the compatibility check doesn't like it either. So looks like the PCI-E card is needed...except I don't have a spare slot right now until I get my EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 which isn't available until next month - I currently have two 780's in SLI. I was hoping to give VR a try while waiting for that.

Mind you. Having ran the compatibility tool it appears my CPU isn't up to scratch which might be a problem:

Your Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3970X CPU @ 3.50GHz processor doesn't meet our
recommended specification, which is an Intel i5-4590 equivalent or
greater.

soopytwist
Protege
This one? (Amazon.co.uk because I'm in the UK)

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is the card that is recommended:
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

For now, you can try using only USB 2.0 ports, which should work (at least with 2 sensors, if you have more than 2 you may run out of bandwidth). Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

soopytwist
Protege

This is the card that is recommended:
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

For now, you can try using only USB 2.0 ports, which should work (at least with 2 sensors, if you have more than 2 you may run out of bandwidth). Hope that helps.

That's the same as the one I linked to? It has to be Amazon.co.uk, not .com.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, looks like the same one. We posted at the same time.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

soopytwist
Protege
Okay, I got the Inateck. Had a bizarre situation when I booted up with it in though. It's in an x16 PCI-E slot, no choice since the only two x1 slots are blocked by my two GTX 780's. However, I've pre-ordered an EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 so that problem will go away and I'll move the USB card to the only free x1 slot available now that the 780's are out.

What happened was the installer did the USB drivers and then for some strange reason installed a generic VGA video driver and an audio driver. This buggered up my Nvidia drivers so I had to download the latest ones from Nvidia afterwards.

While setting up the Rift (and before putting the headset on) my monitor kept going black. I also kept having a message come up saying the sensors were disconnected.

Somewhat worrisome.

Also, is it normal to feel some reality dissonance after coming out of VR? I was only in VR for about half an hour with the robot and the cassette tape things and when I came out I felt like was I still there, even now typing on my keyboard an hour later looking at a flat 2D monitor I feel kinda weird.

lepter
Protege

Okay, I got the Inateck. Had a bizarre situation when I booted up with it in though. It's in an x16 PCI-E slot, no choice since the only two x1 slots are blocked by my two GTX 780's. However, I've pre-ordered an EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 so that problem will go away and I'll move the USB card to the only free x1 slot available now that the 780's are out.

What happened was the installer did the USB drivers and then for some strange reason installed a generic VGA video driver and an audio driver. This buggered up my Nvidia drivers so I had to download the latest ones from Nvidia afterwards.

While setting up the Rift (and before putting the headset on) my monitor kept going black. I also kept having a message come up saying the sensors were disconnected.

Somewhat worrisome.

Also, is it normal to feel some reality dissonance after coming out of VR? I was only in VR for about half an hour with the robot and the cassette tape things and when I came out I felt like was I still there, even now typing on my keyboard an hour later looking at a flat 2D monitor I feel kinda weird.

Did you get it sorted? What windows are you using? I had loads of usb issues with windows 7. After upgrade to win 10, usb is better but not perfect, probably down to my active usb extension cable.

Real reality is always a bit dizzying after spending time in virtual reality. Nausea gets better over time.