cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Planning question

MiReal
Honored Guest
So I'm tired of sometimes it works, sometimes not.  So I'm upgrading my system to a I7 7700K, ASUS ROG Formula IV, 32gb Ram.  Because of this I have to upgrade as well to Windows10, currently on Win7 Ultimate.  

So with new hard drives coming as well, besides doing a backup before I gut and replace, what should I know about reinstalling Oculus on the new OS/system to get everything back that I have without issues?

Appreciate any insight to prevent problems coming back up.  Oh and I better not see my system doens't meet specs anymore!
8 REPLIES 8

jayhawk
Superstar
The experience of others might be different but when I reinstalled I was plugging the Oculus devices in before installing Oculus software, and it was giving me blue screens immediately after boot up. Had to restore to an earlier point to continue. My suggestion is to do all updates including USB 3.0/1 drivers then install the home software before you plug any Oculus devices in.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Check your motherboard specs and find out what USB 3.0 controller it uses for it's USB3 ports. The Oculus software is kind of finicky on those.
I found out prior to getting my Rift mine were known to cause issues with the Rift so I went ahead and got the Innatek card, probably saved me some grief...

MiReal
Honored Guest

dburne said:

Check your motherboard specs and find out what USB 3.0 controller it uses for it's USB3 ports. The Oculus software is kind of finicky on those.
I found out prior to getting my Rift mine were known to cause issues with the Rift so I went ahead and got the Innatek card, probably saved me some grief...

Shouldn't require my current Innatek card (Current system:  Watercooled/Overclocked I7 3770k, 16gb Ram, Nvidia 1070, win7)

New motherboard:
ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller : 
1 x USB 3.1 front panel connector port(s) 
ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller : 
2 x USB 3.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, )
Intel® Z270 Chipset : 
6 x USB 3.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, , 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z270 Chipset : *7
6 x USB 2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, , 2 at mid-board)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I would think you would be good to go with those Intel USB 3 ports.

MiReal
Honored Guest
Finished reinstall, but none of my titles are showing up, status is purchased, but nothing in the library, help!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Look in the Not Installed tab.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

MiReal
Honored Guest
So after getting  the library squared away (another thread), really happy so far as the upgrade seems to have been worth it.  No little random issues or crashes.  Seems solid bouncing from one title to another.  Wasn't cheap, but 5 years had passed and was time to upgrade.

Windows 10 Home
ASUS ROG Formula IX 
Intel I7 7700k
32gb Gskill 2400 DDR4 RAM
250gb Samsung 850 SSD. OS drive
2TB Seagate Firecuda data drive
Add water and overclock! 

*After alot of Web searching threads, decided Windows Home would be sufficient rather tHan the added expense of the Pro version which would run additional 'features' I wouldn't need or use.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's a great system. Congratulations! 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?